1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bad speaking/writing habits

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by FreaqyFrequency, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Speaking: I regularly repeat a section of a sentence a few times when I say something before I fully think about how it will come out. It sounds like a stutter, but with more words involved.

Example: "I don't mean - I don't mean - err, I don't mean.....to imply that I didn't take out the trash, but..."

I will also make complete non-sequiturs from time to time.

Example: "So yes, bebop was meant to be a revolt of sorts from the big band era. It was understood that... *sees sign for opening of new restaurant* Oh, we should definitely go check them out at some point. I've heard they've got some great veggie dishes on their menu. *blank stares*

Writing: Run-ons and similar random splits from a point I'm trying to convey.

What are some of your demons in these two aspects of life?

2. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    I stutter, it sucks.

3. Chriss62

Chriss62

Jul 24, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    I carry on multiple conversations at once. All my close friends do it. Maybe not all at once, but the topic varies smoothly from sentence to sentence. Outsiders would be, and have been confused...

4. In terms of speaking, I consider myself very articulate. It mainly stems from not wanting to come across as a dummyhead, so I always put thought into what I say and how I say it. Unless of course I'm drunk. Then I'm just a babbling idiot. ;)

In writing, my only flaw is in using the typical "lol" type abbreviations, etc. That's a conscious decision though, so it doesn't really bother me. I know I would never write in such a manner in professional correspondence, etc.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Attention Defecit Syndrome!!?? :eyebrow:

6. Sometimes when I'm talking, I let sentences trail off with out finishing them. I can't think of a real example, but it would be something like this: "That active bass with roundwounds has a real bright, modern sound, but that passive one with the flats ..." [has a darker, more vintage sound]. I think it happens more when it's something I'm uncomfortable or embarrassed to talk about.

7. I'd say that's pretty accurate, with a dose of hyperactivity now and again, but not enough to call it ADHD. It even shows up in my playing: I can be playing Hysteria for a few seconds and not even finish the riff before I'm going down to a walking bassline in A minor. :confused:

It can make listening to me an interesting experience, or an irritating one.

8. Dale D Dilly

Dale D Dilly Monster

Jul 1, 2008
    I use way too much technical jargon when speaking to people outside of my field. I know it's poor word choice, but sometimes I get so excited about what I'm talking about that I naturally try to get very detailed and use specialized language.

Most people are polite and just nod. Others think I'm pretentious and don't talk to me again... ok, it's not quite that bad.

9. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    Meh, I have a fairly short attention span, with occasional doses of hyperactivity, especially during extremes of weather. I think it's quite normal. Speaking of which, I really need to finish that video for you.

10. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    You ever like, try to like, have a like, conversation with like someone that like, says like every other word?

I like, friggan hate that.

11. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    I like, totally know what you mean, like.

12. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I've got the standard Irish foul mouth deal, no matter how much I fight it, I always seem to drop the big f at exactly the wrong time.:meh:

13. :p

14. What is it with everybody saying "I seen" regardless of the tense?

15. One of my pet hates is the phrase 'at the end of the day'. If any TBers in the UK are familiar with the horror that is the Jeremy Kyle show, it seems every 'guest' argues their case with something along the lines of, 'well, y'know, at the end of the day, like...'

It's a hopelessly lazy way of speaking, an almost automatically generated line used to save thinking of something else.

Personal ones? I stutter, particularly with to people I don't know.

16. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    I'm pretty much without bad habits as far as language goes. But I know I sometimes project the image of a pretentious twit.

17. I get the occasional stutter, it started in high school. I have no idea what causes it and it only shows up about once a month; not enough to cause any real disturbance. I, also, used to have a real problem with saying "umm" rather often while talking, but I have since stopped doing that. Took a while, but I broke myself of that habit. IMO it makes people sound like they haven't thought through what they are saying and leaves a bad impression.

Whenever I notice that I am pronouncing a word incorrectly, I reteach myself how to say it correctly. I do a lot of public speaking, so I try my hardest to be an effective communicator.

As for writing, I am a horrible speller. Spell check is my best friend when writing, I am decent at punctuation and grammar, just spelling tends to mess me up.

lowsound

18. This makes me want to commit acts of violence.

19. I don't think I have any actual speech impediments or problems but I do swear a lot.:)

20. I get the distinct impression that you and this gentleman would be best mates.

Pretty interesting, some of these impediments we develop. I am also a culprit of using "umm" too many times in my past, but it is disappearing from my vernacular with haste. I like to flesh out these problems with regularity so that I can be a better communicator. Communication is essential to my life, so the clearer I can be, the better.