Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bad Spelling, Courtesy and Incomprehensibility

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Bruce Lindfield, Aug 24, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I just wanted to reply on the post by Bass Hound copied below, but as the thread seemed to have been closed I couldn't - but, just wanted to say that I think you have got the wrong end of the stick and that there was no need to "jump" on Chris.

The point is that the original post was totally incomprehensible, so the "Old hands" in the forum had a bit of a laugh at this person's expense. Chris suggested that if time had been taken to express himself better, the poster might have had more chance of getting a reasonable reply - good advice - but got abused for this.

I think the point is that, firstly, OK the odd typo desn't matter, but if a lack of care or thought means that the post is gibberish, then you aren't going to get a sensible
    reply. You can always edit a post afterwards and then the complainers look silly, not you - not doing this just betrays laziness to me.

Secondly, if you come on a board looking for answers or help, then the least you can do is be polite to the people you are expecting to take their time to help you. If you are just rude then - forget it! Why should we bother to help you, if you can't be bothered to be civil or coherent?

Bass Hound

08-22-2000
    07:16 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't believe this up-roar about spelling. I'm over 55, not only is English my first language, other than music, it's my only language. I could probably score in the top 2% on any college level spelling test so, don't judge my lack of typing skills with my ability to spell! I don't play music perfectly and I do occasionally misspell a word here and there. More likley, (see there, i got in a hurry and mispelled likely)I made a typo.
    If the rest of the people here on this forum, which, BTW Chris, is NOT yours, you are only the moderator and if you think you OWN this forum, you better check your stock options, resign or quit throwing your weight around!
    Anyway, if you are all so high up and mighty about the spelling, I am not interested in frequenting this site any longer.
    If you want perfect spelling, incorporate a "Spell check" into the "post".
    I've been in a lot of other forums and guys get teased about their spelling if it is awful all the time but I have yet to see a moderator/owner of a forum get all up over misspelled words.
    Chris, if it is your choice to lock me out of this forum for questioning your comments and ownership, plese feel free to do so. 'Cause honestly, I DON'T GIVE A RAT'S Hiney, or is it hinney, hineie eieio ?

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
  3. Bass Hound

Bass Hound

Aug 17, 2000
    Bruce, Chris and I had a little email get together and I believe we understand each other. There are no hard feelings because we are both gentlemen and big enough to admit our own short comings.
    I for one did not have any problem figuring out the question with all 3 misspelt words and was suprised that others did. I did think it a little juvenile but the whole post sounded that way. No flame to "me" intended.
    And, just for triveality's (is that a word?) sake, just because a post comes from the US doesn't mean the person's first language is English!
    Anyone from NY, FL, TX, NM, AZ or CA knows that the number of people speaking English as their first language are in the minority!
    And yes, we can all get along as long as it is realized that even the best of friends get all up at each other from time to time. I mean, if I didn't give my best friend a hard time and hold him accountable, he'd think I did't like him anymore!
    'Nuff said.

4. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Yeah,
    Bass Hound and me are cool. I really didn't want to stir things up anymore that they already were, that's why I closed the thread. Can we get over this now?

Thanks,
    Chris A.:rolleyes:

5. Bruce Lindfield

Sorry - I just felt it worth pointing out again, that we do need some sort of netiquette and that if people ask a reasonable question in a reasonable manner then they can expect a reasonable answer - if they are rude, inconsiderate etc. then I think they get what they deserve.

I still see a lot of requests that don't seem to have much thought or that have very vague or imprecise headings/questions and make it difficult to give an objective or sensible answer.

6. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    i dont know what the situation you folks are talking about is, but I do know that sometimes people react harshly to a response-post they think is critical of them, when in fact it is intended to just be conversational. Sometimes when something is in writing rather than spoken, people add in an angry tone to what is not angry. Hence, a bitter thread is created from nowhere. I have been the victim of this several times. I will post something totally innocently and the person I am responding to gets all heated about it. This board is really great but lets give each other the benefit of the doubt. Assume that the respondant's tone is friendly and conversational rather than an attack.

7. Bass Hound

Bass Hound

Aug 17, 2000
    It's just human nature to want to try to 'set things right', that's why we point out anothers 'negitive' habits and behaviors. It also makes us, at least sub-conscientiously, feel superior. (Yeah, I have over 250 hrs of counseling internship on my way to a degree.)
    Here's my point. A person asks a question. If you don't have a constructive answer, unless you need a clarification, don't post anything!
    Geez, is that too simple?
    Remermber, if I screw up my spelling, I have the option to take the time to fix it or ignore it. If I ignore it, that doesn't make my question less valid. Lots of people we love are slobs of some kind.
    Anyway, if you constantly point out my shortcomings (those that bother YOU), eventually, I AM going to react because I interpret your comments as fault finding and I must defend myself.
    Now we not only have a battle going on but we have three or four people taking sides and the question is lost.
    I received a lot of good advice from my Dad, one piece was, "If you can't laugh at yourself, you'll be the only one not laughing!"
    Another was, "Keep It Simple, Stupid!"
    To me, that applies here as, A negative reply is not always aimed at my personhood.", "Try to ask a direct question." or, "Try to give a simple, direct answer."
    And, "Try to stick with the subject as much as possible."

Once again, and, on this topic specifically and hopefully, 'nuff said.

[Edited by Bass Hound on 08-28-2000 at 12:17 PM]

8. Bruce Lindfield

YES! I think that the idea of a **discussion** forum is that you discuss things. It's not a "Q &A" forum and I resent people turning it into this - as someone else said :"go to Ask Jeeves.com if that's what you want".

I imagine that it's like being in a (virtual) room together and if I just stood there an kept quiet, it would imply that I was ignoring that person. Quite often, a "newbie" asks a question and then when nobody does reply, they come back with "Bite me" or complaining why nobody has replied within 5 minutes! You can't win either way. At least if they get a response they know someone is listening.

If I was in a bar having a discussion with a few bass players and they asked the group something, I wouldn't just keep quiet if I had no real answer. I would say things like :"well why do you want to know that" or "but what do you mean" or if I thought the request was really strange, I might make a joke. Eventually I might be able to give them the information they were actually seeking or at least a considered opinion/guess/idea and this would be better than nothing!

I always try to write here exactly what I would say in any other situation and to do otherwise seems somehow dishonest to me or at least not being true to myself. If I spent all my time worrying whether this was going to be misinterpreted, then I would never write anything and I would never have another conversation with a human being. My view is that you just have to say what you would in any similar situation and if people can't handle it, then maybe they shouldn't get involved in things like this?

9. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    i agree Bruce. Maybe part of the problem is that people view the purpose of this board differently. Some prefer a get-to-the-point Q&A type while others prefer a more interactive casual chat type. Neither way is wrong, cuz its both.

I guess that we all have to understand that the board means different things to different people, and try to respect that. It is tough though when you make an idle jesting remark and the other person goes off on an angry tangent.

10. Bruce Lindfield

Maybe, but to me "TalkBass" implies discussion, debate, whatever. Now if it was "BassQ&A" , "Your Bass Questions Answered", "Bass Answers" etc. then I think there may be an argument - but it's not!

11. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    HEY, WHAT THE HELL DO YOU MEAN BY THAT!

Just kidding (lol), i knew you'd appreciate it. i prefer the comaraderie of the board too but often when i respond with a comraderie style answer, some of the Q&A type posters gets annoyed. so be it.

12. theJello

theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    I dont know what thread this thread spawned from but I have to comment on this. Im not making any personal attacks here because I dont even know who said what.

I understand people getting annoyed by people who dont use any punctuation and post stupid things. But people who flame others for a few spelling mistakes are no better.
    They are actually complete assholes in my opinion.
    Do you think any of these people would correct your english face to face? I doubt it. And why in the hell do they give a rats ass anyway? Its a true reflection of the type of people they are.

Again, there is a line here. I understand if someone writes a whole paragraph without any punctuation. Thats damn annoying. But people who flame others for a few spelling mistakes are one of the lowest life forms. I have been flamed before for spelling and sentence construction and it really pisses me off.Its pisses me off whenever I see it.
    I'll stop now. I could go on and on.:)

[Edited by theJello on 08-31-2000 at 01:06 PM]

13. Bruce Lindfield

Did you read my original post? This is what I was saying - *quote* : "the odd typo doesn't matter". But if it becomes unintelligible or unclear what is being asked then how can you expect an answer?

The other point was that, if you expect someone else to take the time to reply (and they don't have to you know!) then as a poster, you need to take the time to express your question clearly.

14. theJello

theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    I saw what you said Jim and agree with you all the way. I wasnt directing my comments at you.

From what I can tell this thread started because of another one that is now closed. I do not know what was said in the original thread. I am kinda of curious though.

15. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Discussion or Q and A? Well, some things are a little hard to discuss. I mean if a newbie to bass asks something that can be answerewd simply with no real discussion, I'm cool with that. For example, can you give me the name of a good, cheap metronome? I appreciate their seriousness of purpose to come here and even inquire. It's a short simple answer,. I can list two or three metronomes and...done.

But if the newbie asks, do I really need a metronome. They are boring, but I'll get one if you "pros" really think it is valubale, then I can write a discussion of the value of a metronome and why I feel having one is indispensible, most especially for a beginner.

I personally have no objection to those who ask simple questions IF I can understand the question. A few have been asked here that were incomprehensible to me or too hard to answer without much more background information.

Jason Oldsted

16. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    It's not to often that I agree with Bruce, ;) however, I perfectly understand where he's coming from on this one. If you want a good example, read the thread titled "Fender Disaster" in the basses forum. This is not a case of the odd typo, that's for sure.

17. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    I think this topic is finally discussed out. Let's drop it.

Chris A.:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.