Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bad start for 2001

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by reedo35, Jan 13, 2001.

1. Well, it's been a helluva month so far. Let me elaborate. When I went on Vacation at Christmas, I had to leave my
    Kolstein Fendt Bass locked up in the Band rehearsal hall, as it is not exactly mine, it is the Army's and by regulation, had to be secured. Anyway, After two wonderful weeks in the Colorado Rockies, I come back to our rehearsall hall (which is not climate controlled) and...
    You guessed it, a huge crack from the saddle almost to the soundpost.@#$%*#! Chris, remember that gut-wrenching feeling I talked about? Well, It applies here.Anyway, I talked to Barrie already and I know exactly what has to be done, so I don't have a question about it, I am just looking for a shoulder to cry on.Sniff..But on top of that, I have reached the undeniable conclusion that I need a new fingerboard for my Juzek. This brings me to my question.
    Something Don said awhile back about the future scarcity
    of woods caused me some concern.Is there still good ebony out there, and if so, how much will a good fingerboard cost me and where can I find it? I have two luthiers that Barrie recommended in St. Louis, Gene Bearden and Don Cherry, does anyone have any experiences with them or know of any others in the St. Louis area? Any advice? I will also accept sympathy posts...

2. I feel for you, 'bro. I had two split on me last winter. It's small solace, but at least you didn't have to hear it snap. That's sickening. Do you know if the plate split all the way through? With full tension for all that time, I guess so, but sometimes it doesn't. The good news is that Barrie knows people to recommend.
    As for wood availability, the environmentalists have declared war on the users of pernambuco from Brazil. Ebony is still available, but not cheap. Since only part of a slab is black, ebony is divided into black/not black and priced accordingly. NYC price for a new black ebony fingerboard set up was $900.
    I'm told that in Africa, the ebony is cut down to make charcoal. Apparently, Greenpeace is selective about who they go after.
    What happened is bad, really. But the worst is over. It can't get any more broken, and everything from this point is a step to make things better. As for luthier names, now is when you call the St Louis Symphony, tell your story, and get through to the principal bassist for a reference. I've done this on the road. It works.

3. Unfortunately, Yes. I can slide a page of paper through it, so obvously the Top will have to come off to repair it correctly. Someone once told me that a bass isn't really
    seasoned until it gets at least one crack, but it doesn't make it any easier. Oh, Well, the Army is paying for it, not me, so at least financially that's a comfort.

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Uh-huh.....yeah, but not much of a comfort. I'm REALLY sorry to hear about the bass. Yes, I remember that sickening feeling, the heat rising up your spine as the dawning realization of what just happened slowly sinks in. I don't have any real help to offer (sorry!), but I just thought I'd check in.

Fingers are crossed and black armbands are being worn in Louisville...

5. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    Reedo:

Something that you may consider, is a used fingerboard for your Juzek. Hold on, hear me out. There are some bassist who can sense the slightest imperfection in their fingerboards, I unfortunately am not one. Anyway, they will take their basses in and have their fingerboards replaced. Then the shop has a high quality fingerboard (slight imperfection), but far less expensive than a brand-spanking new one.

Obviously, this has to be orchestrated through a luthier that you have a great deal of confidence in. If you are playing your Juzek primarily for jazz, this may be an alternative. Besides, even if you get a brand new fingerboard, there may be slight glitches.

Anyway, you can only go up from here (let's hope). I wish you well.

6. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Bob Monroney (CO luthier) told me a couple months ago that the ebony fingerboards that Luthiers Merchantile were selling for $175 are incredibly good and a very black tone of ebony. http://www.lmii.com

7. Thanks, Bob. That's about 100 less than the price I got from Lemur, so I'll definitely look into that.

8. Reedo, I guess the Army is responsible for the repair, right?

Now, are they going to make you lock the bass up in the same spot next time? If it had been summer, the glue could have melted and the bass would've come completely apart.

9. Yes,they are paying to have it fixed. The string players have been screaming for a year that the guitars and basses need to be kept in a humidity-controlled environment.
    Maybe now they'll listen to us,eh?