Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bad Stingray Jack!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by kazuhank, Oct 27, 2003.

1. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Before I start, I used the search feature and couldn't find anything in BASSES or SETUP, so here's my first post. Don't flame me if this has come up before...

I've had a few EB-era Music Man Stingray 4 strings, and ALL of them (and all of the others that my friends have owned) have suffered from bad output jacks. The jacks generally work with a right angle plug most of the time, but occasionally they pop, cut output to a quarter the normal volume, and then work again after unplugging and plugging back in. I have dealt with this issue since buying my first Stingray (the only one I still own) back in '92, but on a high profile gig, I started popping again, which forced me to play an entire set stone still and with a hand closeby my bypass switch.

Do any of you Stingray owners know of a solution? Is there an aftermarket jack that works with the preamp (for bypass) that I can consider? I have worked hard for this gig and even impressed the soundman with my gear (he loves the tone of my Aguilar DB750), but I can't handle the popping from a cheap output jack anymore.

2. You can go to stewmac.com and buy a new output jack. Or even radio shack....

Do you know what type of jack it is? Is it an enclosed one or a skeleton type?

:D:D

Merls

3. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Merlin--Thanks, I had checked with some of the parts suppliers, but none of them had the same jack. The jack is the enclosed plastic type with 4 pins (one for common ground, two with individual red leads soldered to them (I assume for the batter/bypass), and one with the white hot lead on it). The stewmac jack was the closest and looks the same, but is listed as a "9-Pin" jack. This looks like it will work but I'm leary of replacing one cheap plastic jack with another. Check out the Stewmac jack. Check it out and see if it'll work.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Components:_Jacks/Special_9-pin_Switching_Stereo_Output_Jack.html

4. You can use that. Just need to work out what pins to wire what. ;)

A thought occurred to me. Ive seen the type of problem you have described a couple of times. It turned out to be corrosion on the metal tabs inside.

Now of the open skeleton type jacks, its easy to fix, just roll up some sandpaper and clean all the metal points.

[​IMG]

You can use these skeleton jacks for active circuits, my bass has them. ;) Easier to repair if the jack becomes loose, or stops working.

But the enclosed ones... chuck it over the shoulder and replace.

:D:D

Merls