Bad Stingray Pickup???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lsu921, Apr 23, 2004.

1. lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    The pole pieces under the A and D string on my Stingray pickup are way higher than the E and G string pole pieces. Has anyone else run into this problem? When I dig in on the A and D strings they hit the pole pieces. If I lower the pickup to where that doesn't happen, I can't hear the G string.
  2. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    The pickups are made like this on purpose so that the polepieces follow the radius of the fingerboard.
    I don't have a Stingray, but one of my basses had a SD Basslines MM pickup with the same issue. Since the bass has an almost flat fingerboard, it made it so that the A and D were much louder than the E and G strings and it couldn't be adjusted by changing the pickup height.

It's a bit drastic, but I took care of my problem by taking the pickup out, taking off the cover and grinding down the offending polepieces with a very powerful Dremel tool. :eek:
    Short of special ordering a "flat" pickup, or changing to Bartolini pickups, this was my only option. It worked out fine, but just be aware of the possibilty of completely destroying your current pickup - I took the risk and got lucky. YMMV ;)
  3. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    I've got a Sterling pup, not bass, which I have yet to install because the pup is so thick it requires additional routing. The pole pieces are the same way, so I don't know that I'll have that problem when it's time to install but it's good to know.

Logically, I would think if the bridge was set so the strings followed the neck radius, their shouldn't be that problem. If the bridge pieces are set so the strings are level across the bridge, I can see where that might happen. I would try adjusting the string height rather than the pup height, since the strings are independent and the pup is fixed. At any rate, it should not be necessary to grind the pole pieces down.