Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bad stomachache..

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vince S., Mar 5, 2005.

1. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    Hey all

I'm not looking for medical advice, just need to vent a little.

It's been very frustrating the past few weeks. I've had a burning, knawing pain in my gut which is relieved by food, and some sharp stabbing pain that comes and goes. The Dr. gives me Prevacid to take for a week. It ran out, pain was still there, so he upped my prescription to 3 months.

I've lost a little bit of weight, and I can't eat as much as I used to. Just tonight, I was at a friend's house, and tried a tiny piece of cream pie. I ended up on the bathroom floor having dry heaves though I didn't puke, and I'm sitting here now with an incredible stomachache thats radiating into my back. My parents tell me its "just indigestion" but I don't know. There is no way I can go back to the doctor since he put me on the Prevacid, which my parents believe will do the trick and "there's no need to go again." I guess I am asking for a little bit of advice though: What do I do if it gets worse/more serious?

Thanks

Vince

2. Go get a second opinion?

3. Sorry to hear you're not well; hope things turn out OK.

I've had a crap week too - but usually when bad stuff happens, a lot of good stuff happens later. Keep your head up, look at the bright side (if you can).

I'm sorry I can't give you any medical advice, though.

4. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    If it gets MORE serious?

Maybe a taxi ride to the emergency room?

:eyebrow:

Joe.

5. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    You should get a second opinion. NOW! Otherwise just wait for the little alien to rip its way out and everything will feel better.

6. Is in the pain on a certain side? Once I thought I was having major stomach trouble, turns out my kidney was chock full of stones. :eyebrow:

7. Vince S.

Jan 24, 2003
    Its on the left, just under my ribs, and sometimes in the center of my gut between my belly button and sternum.

Vince

8. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Might be a ulcer. Are you a stressed out guy? I would go get a second opinion.

9. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    That sounds exactly like gastroesophogeal acid reflux (heartburn). In fact, it sounds so like acid reflux that you could have cut and pasted that description from www.gastroesophogealacidrefluxsufferersanonymous.com

Really, I have very little doubt that is what it is.

It's not serious, but it can be insanely painful.

Try taking some sodium bicarbonate (bicarbonate of soda, available from your local grocery store in the baking goods section) next time you have an attack. Put a teaspoon or so in glass and pour some water in. Stir and drink the lot. It'll taste a bit salty. And your pain will magically disappear. And you will burp.

If the pain doesn't go, call me an idiot and take a taxi to your ER.

If the pain does go, take comfort in the fact you are stuck with this terrible affliction for the rest of your life, but changing eating habits may help. For me, onions and beer are the killers. So I avoid onions and drink wine. And I don't get it any more. Except at Christmas time, when I stock up on bicarbonate of soda (too much of this is not good for you, for the same reason too much salt is not good for you).

Give it a try, good luck.

10. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    OR it could be acute food poisioning... thats what i had when i had those symptoms.

11. Roberto

Roberto

Dec 24, 2004
    Sounds like an ulcer to me.

12. Vince S.

Jan 24, 2003
    Hey all

Thanks for the replies. I was actually thinking its an ulcer, since my symptoms match up and they tend to run in my family (almost all the guys on my dad's side has had one). The only thing is I'm 16 years old, so wouldn't that be too young to have one?

Vince

13. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    I had a friend who had one at 17.

14. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Could be an ulcer, acid reflux, even gal bladder issues.

15. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

16. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Vince, I'm no doctor - but I've had tons of experience with them, and I've watched lots and lots of people get sicker under their care.

1st - did the doctor try and do anything to help you get rid of this??? Of course not. He just gave you a prescription to mask the symptoms and make money for the drug companies. Most of the scrips MDs write out do nothing at all but make the pain stop, temporarily stop the symptoms, and more often than not make you even sicker than you originally were - in one way or another.

I would DEFINITELY get another doctor's opinion - and would seek holistic advice. I can't tell you how many things I had wrong with me that docors either made, or tried to make worse until I found my own solutions. That usually had to do with what I was eating, my way of life, and most often things I had going on in my head. The stomach is real attached to emotions also, we all know that.

I'd search other places online, find another doctor, and start learning what I could do with my body to make it the healthies, strongest body possibly. Doctors just about always do the opposite of that. They're not terribly interested in you being healthy.

Sorry to any MDs on the board - but before flaming me, this has been my experience. My girlfriend is also now a nurse on way to being a midwife and through her I can site MANY specific examples of exactly what I'm talking about. Hopefully , your case is different. This has been my experience.

Good luck.

17. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Yeah, remember your Doctor has a vested interest in you being unwell, dont accept what they say verbatim, take what they say as good advice, and make up your own mind :)

18. First tell your parent's that you will call HRS on the if they do not take you back to you Dr. If for nothing but the peace of mind....the stress of not knowing can make your symptoms worse.

When you get to the doctor don't ask....Demand that he get to the bottom of your problem . Tell him to run the appropriate tests to rule out everything. As with most MDs, you have to (unfortunatly) design your own treatment. You are not buying a car, this is your life and well being. Don't be afraid to ask questions and demand answers. Let him know that you are serious and worried and he will take it seriously.

It's probably something simple, but the unknown is a bitch!

Good luck.

19. My girlfriend's little sister is 12 and she has one from bad eating habits.

20. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland