1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bad strings affecting my intonation?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bass-desires, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Bass-desires

Bass-desires

Oct 25, 2008
    El paso, TX
    Hey Guys, I just got a brand new bass in the mail, (I will withhold the name because its blackballed here frequently:rollno:) and I cannot for the life of me adjust the intonation. It has the stock nasty steel strings on it still.

After trying it different ways (even changing saddle height, yes crazy :D) I cannot get the E(close)and ADG strings intonated properly.

Read up on some things and people have mentioned the strings themselves affecting the intonation?

Is the bass trash or should I throw on some new strings?
    :help:

Thanks Yall.

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Bad strings can absolutely jack up your intonation, as can setup issues. Change your strings, set the instrument up, THEN check intonation.

3. Bass-desires

Bass-desires

Oct 25, 2008
    El paso, TX
    Ok thank you, I will tonight after work. I'll let you know what hashes. :cool:

4. Bass-desires

Bass-desires

Oct 25, 2008
    El paso, TX
    Well, no dice. I put in a new set of D'addario strings and still, from the first/second fret on, its flat-ish. The sound isn't too bad, but I don't think its something I can live with in a bass. I'm sending it back today. Thanks anyway guys!

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

You don't adjust intonation by raising bridge saddles - but rather by moving them backwards and forwards - i.e. further or nearer to the nut!

6. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Intonation should be set in reference to the 12th fret.

7. BigMacDaddy

BigMacDaddy

May 25, 2009
    Rochester, NY
    It seems odd that it would be the first few frets that are the problem. It sounds like a set-up issue. Like others have said, you check intonation at the 12th fret. If the first few are flat I am willing to bet that the whole string is tuned flat.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

It's possible that the 1st - 3rd frets could be sharp, if the nut is set too high!

At the beginning of Jaco's instructional video you can see him filing down the nut slots to deal with this problem!

9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I check at the 12th and 19th.