1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

bad technique with acoustic bass.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Harry Grossman, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Harry Grossman

Harry Grossman

Apr 9, 2010
    VA
    Hi.

I have a really bad problem. whenever i play acoustic bass, i get in this really bad habit of using my fingernail to pick the strings instead of index-middle. ne ideas to help me stop doing this?

2. weemac

weemac Guest

Feb 27, 2010
    It depends.. If you are doing it subconsiously your ear may be prefering the sound of the string being pulled that way, try to think of the real reason you are doing it.
    I have long nails on my plucking hand (for guitar) and they also work well enough for bass guitar but for me when I play upright I really don't like that sound so I really have to turn my hand to use the side of my fingers apart from the odd flamenco flair where I do use the nails.
    Its a bit of my finger that does not get used for any other instrument I play so.... blisters...

If you don't like the extra clack just try to remember to rotate your hand a little or cut your nail a bit shorter.

Please bare in mind I'm not from the school of technique, I'm from the school of "If it works for you thats fine"

emac.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Wider strings spacing and higher action will solve the problem! :)

4. Harry Grossman

Harry Grossman

Apr 9, 2010
    VA
    u guys do mean picking them and not pressing on the frets right?neways, thanks. im just wondering if it makes u look bad as a bass player to do it.