Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bad things that happen to bass players

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Anyone want to share their nighmare, a few things like batteries dying,stings braking can be avoided with a little planning, but what about other mishaps, I will share ONE of mine

The keyboard player did not show up, so its just me, and the drummer backing up a choir, a real humble experience, but it taught me well
    :meh: always be prepared.:meh:

2. Being stuck with a band that doesn't know anything.

3. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    I hear you! Nothing worse than being stuck at a level lower than your capabilities. Not to mention frustrating as hell!! :(

4. ditto X 100000

5. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Trying to get a band, where the drummer is actually a guitarist and there just because "he'd like to learn drums", to performing shape.

6. man...

so THATS why when i play a g (low or high) i hear buzzing in my room and in the walls! i always wondered why it was only the g that did it. weird but neat :)

7. its due to that the wave "responds" to the loose parts in your house or whatever, and it resonates with the note.

:)

8. stuie86

stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    something in my head kept telliing me i knew what i thought, was right.... so i feel better after hearing it from someone smarter then me.... thanks man

9. when you can't hear us over the guitar(s) :meh:

10. stuie86

stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    listen to more funk osama, you will never have that problem again.... and if you are talking about you.... do a better sound check:p

11. Hehe....I have never played with anyone,so I couldnt have that problem.

However,if I did...right before the first song starts I'd crank 'er up a little just to get that extra volume:)

12. "no no no, just play the root notes."

:spit:

Boo hiss etc.

13. Meehaw

Meehaw

Jun 11, 2003
    Gdynia, Poland
    I love when my drummer shows me what to play on A DRUMSTICK! :eek: :rolleyes:

14. Last attemp at a band went like this:
    the "leader" was a learning drummer and guitarist thinking he'd play drums that couldn't really sing and didn't expect to and had a controlling wife that was going to be a problem, there was another guy that the 1st guy thought was a guitarist that was actually a beginner drummer and then there was a keytarist :p that actually knew about music. The first guy, Shane, said its ok to have 2 drummers lots of bands do...
    The only time we could all get together was on Sundays where Shanes wife would let him. and no one lived within a half hour of each other.

The one I'm meeting later today sounds like it can actully work out, but not sure if it is going to be playing something I want to but I can try and atleast get the expierience

15. Hell Yeah! ;) :bassist:

(sorry, ...of topic

16. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    It was the night of the closing ceremony of the Sydney Olympics. I was supposed to go to a party by the harbour, but a desperate phone call from a band in trouble changed that. Their bass player had been taken to hospital and they needed me to get em through the gig.

I turned up and all the equipment was set up and ready to go except for my bass rig. We were told to set up, disappear for a while while they showed the ceremony on the big screen, then start playing as soon as it was over. I was cool with that.

The guys in the band introduced themselves one by one and I noticed no-one mentioned they played drums. The drum kit was set up so I figured he was around somewhere. I was wrong.

He'd snuck out to the party by the harbour. He met up with the bass player - yep the guy that was supposed to be in hospital - had too many and forgot he was supposed to be at a gig.

I missed my party, the band got sent home with no pay. I wasn't happy, so I sent em an invoice anyway, bumped up my fee, and added a special note saying I'd like my fee to come out of the pockets of the drummer and bass player!

Thank goodness this sort of thing doesn't happen too often.

17. that sucks Petebass...

be happy he didn't take of with your stuff.

18. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    How 'bout this one....

When someone asks "How long have you been playing guitar?" or "Wow your guitar only has 4 strings!"

Grrrr....

:confused:

19. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Mine wouldn't have been bad except for my begining level skills. I went to an open mic to play with a dude I was trying out to possibly form a band with. Asside from the stuff he and I had gone over, he played a few tunes I had never heard of, so I stumbled through them as well as I could.

Then the next two bands had no bassist so they kept asking me to come up... I knew none of any of their material and spent the next hour bumbling through all kinds of unknown tunes and getting redder with every song... Finally open mic ended, the main act came on and I sat down.

Whew! It was fun, but scary and embarrassing when I hit some really bad notes. :eek: Oh, well. :D

20. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

And having to teach the guitar players the parts to songs.