Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bad tone?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Wedding Dress, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Take a listen to these songs and tell me they're not as bad as I think. I just don't like my tone on these recordings. IMO, they were poorly mixed. It sounds like all my low end was cut.

recording specs: Warwick Corvette stnd. and a Hartke 3500 to record.

songs

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    what were you settings on the vette amd your the amp?

Yeah you really got the piano tone going.

Kinda sounded like you had the bridge pu soloed and tone backed off. I get a similar tone with a pick and the bridge wide open.
    If you used a pick maybe try using you fingers to alter the sound to your preference.

that is all the advice I can give without knowing more.

Pretty decent playing/songs as well, but not a style of music that I like so please understand.

3. I have the bridge soloed and I have the eq on the 3500 like a v. I love my tone live, and it sounded great when we recorded it. It had plenty of low end. Then I heard the finished songs and was pretty disappointed.

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    well the easiest way to get low end is balance the pickups or even solo the neck.

also do you use a pick?

5. I do use a pick. I can't get the tone I'm after playing finger style.

6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    dont have any other suggestions other than balance the pickups.

just my advice do not put to much faith in it.

I like my vette standard with the tone completely on and the pickup's balanced and my tone is not anything like that.

My rig is an Ampeg SVT410HLF powered currently by a peavy combo (soon to be replaced by a real amp when funds are available).

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    My opinion is that your tone is fine, maybe lacking a little bit of bottom but if anything it needs the mids boosted. For the music I think that works ok.

The whole mix though is lacking serious bottom and some lower mids. I think that if you kicked them up a bit on the overall mix you will find your bass sounds better too.

I know the trend is to cut the mids but you will find that they really make the whole mix sound a lot thicker.

Peace
    Nick

PS: I dig the music. Id check you guys out if you played locally.

8. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I like it! It does sound a bit like a jew's-harp, :)D) but I think it sounds really distinctive and fits your band's music really well. I don't think your tone is lacking bottom, either.

9. Thanks. My is tone perfect live and it sounded good recording. On the songs it sounds good, but its not beefy enough. I told the guy who recorded lots of low end and clean highs. Then I left while the guy was mixing and left the guitarist in charge. :rolleyes: I'll try different pickup configurations and boosting the mids next time.

10. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    I think the tone is fine. Your band is kind of cool too.