1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bad Volume Pot?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Essthreetee, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Essthreetee

Essthreetee

Aug 19, 2007
    Visalia, CA
    I am having an issue with my TBC. If I just turn the pot, no change to volume and the sound is...thin (?)...but if I pull the spinning shaft up and turn all at the same time, the thickness comes back and the volume works. As soon as I let go, back to no volume adjustment and thin....

Is this just a bad pot?

2. thelostuba

thelostuba Guest

Apr 23, 2010
    Maybe something is lose in the electronics. I had a similar problem w/ my bass, so i opened it up and tightened a few things and the difference was night and day.

but worst case senario it is just a bad pot and might cost $30-40 to replace.

3. Sounds like a bad pot.

Learn to solder/desolder, and it should cost $5.

4. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    Sounds like the pot took a lick and the wiper mechanism pushed the back of the pot loose where the wiper doesn't make good contact with the resistance element.

You can try removing the pot and tightening the crimped over tabs that hold the back of the pot to the front part that has the threaded bushing. A normal set of pliers that are opened to the widest position will probably work for this.

There's also the possibility of a bad solder joint on a wire that's being moved when you pull up on the pot.

If neither of these fixes works, it's time for a new pot.

mech

5. Essthreetee

Essthreetee

Aug 19, 2007
    Visalia, CA
    I did that...thinking the same thing...but no good. Then I thought I would actually take the pot apart and bend the tabs up a little...I did this too, but didn't fix anything.

I would replace it on my own, however the last time I did any soldering I melted some wires. Plus this pot has a capacitor(?) thingy (technical term) and several wires attached to it. So I am gonna take it to our local luthier and have him replace the pot (and maybe the jack while he is in there). :eyebrow: