Bad VTC pot on Sadowsky preamp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Larry99, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Larry99

Larry99 Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I bought KevinLane’s Lakland JO5 about a month ago (the one with the Sadowsky onboard pre installed) and overall I’m quite happy with it. However, I think there may be a problem with the push/pull VTC potentiometer on the pre amp.

I was playing the other day with the highs rolled off a bit and I noticed a significant increase in EQ/volume like someone had turned the pot back up. I thought I inadvertently hit the pot while playing but a few seconds later it came back down. While turning the pot there’s a lot of noise and intermittent contact with the tone coming in and out. A few times I turned the VTC all the way down (counter clockwise) and all the highs were still there. Then when I jiggled the pot, the highs cut out. I tried cleaning the pot with some contact cleaner but nothing. I think the pot may be defective.

Another question: With the VTC in passive mode (pot pulled out), I’m not getting any tone control on the stacked bass/treble. Is this correct? I’m trying to determine if there are more problems than just the VTC pot.

Any of you Sadowsky owners have a spare vtc pot laying around? Otherwise, I guess I’ll see if the guys at the shop can sell me one stand alone.
  2. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    I would ask Roger about it.
  3. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    The Bass and Treble boost knobs will NOT work in passive mode, as passive mode bypasses the preamp. As far as the knob, give the guys at the Sadowsky shop a call, I'm sure they'll be able to help.
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yes, as you're bypassing the preamp, the preamp knobs will now have no effect on your sound.

as for the vtc, sounds like a wiring issue. As suggested, ask Sadowsky. It's most likely a simple fix.
  5. have you had an inspection of your instrument? it could be that the capacitor came disconnected from the VTC pot. it could be the pot, too...get yourself a pot and a capacitor and take it to someone you trust to replace both and you should be back in business inside 20 minutes.
  6. Larry99

Larry99 Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    thanks for the info guys.

yep, I suspected the stacked bass and treble aren't supposed to work in bypass mode as the VTC knob controls the tone when bypassed. This seems to work fine so I'm guessing the contact that is engaged when the pot is pushed-in/active is bad. However I did notice the two capacitors attached to the pot and the solder joints seem intact. I'm fairly certain it's a defective/deteriorating pot. I'll give Roger's shop a call.