Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bad way to record??? (help)

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by pil101, Mar 30, 2003.

1. pil101

pil101

Jul 8, 2000
    when my band records, we send out from my Eden WT400 (Recording out XLR jack) to the board. the recording comes out great, but my bass sounds like ****. it is too hollow sounding, no definition, and little bass. i use a MM stingray which i knew has a ringy tone to it but is there a better way to do this? i have the EQ on the head all flat. would boosting the bass on the head do any good? Do i need a DI box or something? thanks

erik

2. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    The XLR out is a biult in DI box. Yes do adjust your EQ's that will definantly help!. I think that that just might be your problem. Also try micing your amp as well, that will give you a little more tone. Just mix the mic and direct. Good luck. Like I said I th ink your problem is with your EQ...if you are keeping it all flat.

3. Even though the Eden XLR-outs are better than most, I'd say that you would notice a ton of difference if you got an external dedicated DI.

IME, the built-in DIs on the vast majority of amps leave a lot to be desired. They seem to work OK for live PA situations but not for recording.

A $30 standalone DI will do wonders.

4. I should add that my only experience is with the Countryman DI. Got mine for $100. Super quiet and heavy-duty. Makes my bass sound badass to tape.

5. pil101

pil101

Jul 8, 2000
    thanks muchly.

erik

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Anyone have linkage to the Countryman... I searched here and google and only see "Great" and "$100 to $200"

Who makes them?
    Where can I buy one?

Thanks!

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :cool: thanks... I should have just tried countryman.com I must be slipping ;)