Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Badass 1 Or Badass 2

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by GEARBOX, Mar 14, 2001.

1. I'M LOOKING TO GET A BAD ASS ON MY FENDER P-BASS PLUS. IF YOU GUYS COULD HELP ME BY SHARING YOUR EXP.. WITH EITHER OF THE BAD ASSES! THANX!!

2. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Every thread I've ever read on this (here and elsewhere) is heavily in favor of the Badass II - and it's the one I used on my Fender when I had it. I had no problems with it.

3. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    HEY GEARBOX. WELCOME TO TALKBASS :D (no need to shout ;) ).

The "II" would probably be an easier install for your P+.
    The 5 mounting holes are set for Jazz or P drop-in...

[​IMG]   [​IMG]

4. I've got a Badass I on my Carl Thompson, and a Badass II on my Jazz bass. They are both great bridges. I think the advantage of the Badass II is that it's smaller, so you can get the action lower. The Badass I is pretty tall.

5. The Badass2 is a drop in replacement for the Fenders. If you get a Badass1, you'll have to route out a rectangular hole for it to drop into. :(

So get the Badass2, or if you don't want to break out the files to make the grooves, get this one:

Gotoh 201 on this page. Direct drop in, cheap, no filing necessary, a little better quality than the stock cheap Fender.
    http://www.warmoth.com/Bass/Bridges.routes/bassbridges.htm

Chris

6. I've got a Fender P bass Plus too. I fitted a Schaller 3D bridge to it though.
    I fitted a Badass II to my Warmoth P bass.

the trouble with the P Bass Plus is that the original bridge is fitted using three screws as opposed to the five screws on normal Fenders.

the Badass II will not be a drop in replacement exactly as you'll have to drill pilot holes for the four side screws. still, go for the Badass II.
    also make sure that the bridge is positioned correctly for a fair amount of leeway in intonation adjustment.

7. Go for the Badass II. I put one on my '77 Jazz back in '90. Noticable increase in sustain, take note that you will possibly want to consider filing notches to keep your string spacing where you want it, especially if used on a Jazz, where there is alot of taper in string spacing between the nut and the bridge saddles.

good luck.