1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Badass bass bridge question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Elionjamz, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Elionjamz

Elionjamz Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    I just got an awsome FBB bass in the mail yesterday from a fellow TBer. It's an amazing instrument, Its just not setup at all. The badass bridge has also not been cut. Does anyone know what the story is with these bridges? There aren't any grooves cut into the saddles. Are they supposed to stay like that? Do I need to have someone cut string grooves? Why are these bridges made w/ out string grooves? Thanks guys!

2. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    They come like that E. You'll need to file your own string slots. Sounds like a pia but it's not hard to do really. I've done 2 already and they're fine. If you're not sure, take it do a competant repairman and they can probably do it for $15 - $20.
    Conversely some folks say that they're fine as is, unfiled. If the action, intonation and feel is ok and it doesnt bug you then let it go.

3. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Lineā„¢ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    take a visit to the Set-up forum and then search on BAII. there you'll find several threads that include links to the Leo Quan website, links to where the bridge manufacturer notes that this bridge is intended to be slotted by a professional (or at least somebody with enough mechanical skills to properly slot the saddles)

there's a reason these bridges come unslotted - it provides an immensely greater flexibility for customizing to a specific player's needs than any pre-slotted bridge can offer in a single model. as slotting correctly can easily be done in under 20 minutes (on a really slow 'I need more coffee' kind of day), there's no reason for LQ to offer a tone of bridge variations in numerous string spacing widths - it's all here is one simple package

all the best,

R