Badass Bass Deals!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, Jun 10, 2005.

1. I was hoping that maybe all TB'ers could contribute to this thread by posteing some wicked low prices they've seen on some basses on the 'net, the 'bay, or even at local stores.

Right now, MF has Ibanez EDA900's for only $300! Also come with a Road Runner gig bag for free!

happy hunting to you all!
  2. darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    I snagged a Spector Performer 4 for $180 at Guitar Center during their Memorial Day sale...
  3. jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    ....paging Brad Johnson....paging Brad Johnson...thread waiting, Mr. Johnson.... :D :D :D :ninja:
  4. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Fourth time I've told this story at TB so I'll be brief:

Found an all-original '77 jazz in excellent condition in a basement in Urbana, IL w/OHSC-natural w/pearl blocks and white binding.

Bought it for $250

End of story. :smug:
  5. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    you can still find some music man basses for cheap at GC- i've seen 4 string sting rays for $719 (new, NOT sub's), bongos for $900... if i had a million dollars.... :bassist:
  6. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    A '77 J for $250 is stunning recently, and still pretty good 20 years ago. I got a late 60's/early 70's J for $350 in like '84, then found one in a pawn shop, same vintage, kinda beat, for $175. These were maple, white binding/pearl blocks, four bolt, Truss rod at the butt of the neck, so pre bullet. That makes them what?? pre '73?
  7. Malodorous

May 19, 2005
    Serial Number?
  8. elgranluis

elgranluis Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    I got my 72 Jazz, black, black blocks on maple, original case and covers for 318. :hyper:
  9. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    That was around 1997-ish.

Great find! ;)
  10. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    A Conklin Groove Tools 7-string, Brand new for 800-1000 bucks. I'm grabbing it :p
  11. CWK

Jun 9, 2005
    South Centeral Pa.
    I paid $295 (they wanted much more) for a 76 jazz that was sitting in a closet.One of the best sounding heavy jazzes I ever played/heard.
    Still have it. Well,ok I bought it about 20 years ago but it was a deal to me. :D

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    About a month ago I went into a Chicago suburb GC and up at the very top of the highest row of racks trying to hide I saw what looked like A Fodera,upon closer inspection I decided to ask one of the sales men would he mind taking it down for me,when he got it down I was shocked to see that it was a 6 string left handed double cut Fodera AJ(all Original very very good condition,Zebra top,Mahogany body,Brasilian RW Fingerboard,Pearl block inlays,maple neck Bart pickups & electronics,Gold HW)sig Bass(1988)I asked the salesman did he know what model it was and he informed me that it was called the butterfly,he then told me that they had got the Bass from a GC in Indiana about 7-8 months ago(and that it was in the Indiana store for about a year),I asked him what did GC want for it and he said $2600 and he then went into a speach about it being hard to sell because it was Left handed and that he would sell it to me for $ about a week later I informed a Bass playing friend of mine(who happens to be left handed)about this Bass,he wasen't to familiar with Fodera(other than knowing that I own one)he's a Travis Bean guy.I told him that it was the Deal of a Lifetime so about a week after that he called GC and inquired about the bass they told him one price and he told them that a sales person had qouted the sales price of $2000 and the sales guy said ok two grand it is and he took it off the wall and 2 days later we went to GC and my friend payed with tax included $2100 for a 1988 all original Left handed 6 string Fodera AJ double cut sig Bass.on the used market that Bass easily goes for $4500-7500(for those who may not believe me do some research)a new one starts at 9 Grand and from there the price can increase into the skys limit depending on wood options etc.and can take up to 2 years or more to get.
  13. JessRobinson

Dec 29, 2004
    Fairfax, VA
    I recently picked up a 1983/84 MIJ Squier P-bass for $50, including a Fender HSC. It's not a JV series, but an SQ. All parts were original.

I brought it to my local guitar shop (Action Music in Arlington, VA) got it cleaned up, set up and restrung. So now I have a kickin' P-bass for under $150. :bassist:

I think the going price for these is around $350. The owner of the shop said the Squiers of that era are as good as American Fender P-basses of the same years, but the Squier logo keeps the prices down.
  14. UGH!!! That was at the GC here in Indy?? I go in there every week to see what they have in the used department and never saw it.. If I wouldve I definantly would have bought it and sold it for a profit (I'm right). Guess I need to keep my eyes open better.
  15. I have no problem posting this...

EBAY right now, only 12 and 1/2 hrs left, on a used and gigged Warwick Corvette 4 string standard fretted and fretless, only 500 each. The bassist was in a band called Twerp, and IM not sure of the extent of the gigging, but IM sure he didnt through his axes around, doesnt come off like the kind of guy.

just thought Id chime in, great W deals on the 'bay right now!!!

16. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I heard of a guy getting a Fodera Monarch 5 (I think, don't quote me) at GC for $1700 and it was like new. I got to play it once, almost messed up my pants.

I wish I had more stories, but my deals aren't even close to those you guys had. The same GC, though, got a Steinberger XL4 in mint shape off a guy for $400, tagged it at $799, the manager sent it out from under me (used to work there). Coulda had it for about $600 w/emp disc. Ebay has them near $1300 now.

I did get a Modulus Q6 from 1991 for $750.

EDIT: I forgot about a GC sale where I had to pick up a bass for a friend who was an employee. Schecter 004 bass, new, no problems... $59.99... seriously.
  17. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Someone here got a new Bongo for $499.99 at Guitar Center on Memorial Day. They were $799.99 at mine.

I got a brand new S.U.B. for $319.99 at some regular mooky weekend sale there last year. Killer bass. At the same time, a guy wrote me that he got a new S.U.B. for $279.99 at his GC in AZ.

I got a brand new Fender "Hot Rodded" Precision in ash for $499.99 at GC a couple of years ago. I got a brand new SWR "Black Beauty" for $499.99 last year, but that's an amp.

The deals are out there! :D
  18. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I purchased a brand new Fodera neck through Monarch 4 string from the dudepit for $2500 shipped overnite FedEx about 2 years ago.

also purchased a mid 60s dead mint Hofner Beatle Bass with an Ampeg B-12 for $200.
    The guy also gave me an ounce of that stuff you roll up and smoke when I made the purchase....
  19. Mike McGibney

Mike McGibney Not impossible ... Inevitable

Apr 13, 2005
    Essex, UK.
    Some good deals I've had:

mk1 Yamaha TRB6P - £150 (retailed at £1600 in UK when it was introduced)

1975 Fender Jazz, all original: £770

Jaydee Roadie IIA - £300
  20. Franz Jr.

Franz Jr. Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I got a Roscoe SKB-3005, basically brand new from a yard sale for $850, had a buckeye burl top, and matching headstock. the one in the pic