1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

badass bridge 2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jckmcgrth, Mar 10, 2008.

1. jckmcgrth

jckmcgrth

Mar 1, 2008
    Californaia
    so right now i have a standard fender jazz bass with all the standard stuff on it.

but the first bass i had was my uncles old one which is a hondo? and it pretty much blows... BUT it has a badass bridge 2.

my question is, will it be beneficial for my to exchange the bridges? Ive been playing about four years but i dont really know anything about anything... just playing.

2. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Some say yes, some say no. It's just 5 screws to find out....DO IT!

:D

3. nismaniac

nismaniac

Feb 21, 2005
    OKC, OK
    I feel that it made a nice improvement on my Fender Jaguar bass, the weight feels better and it's just more solid and substantial overall.

4. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    I am not a big fan of the stock bent metal bridges and Badass bridges are one of my favorite bridges. I would try the bass with the stock bridge and then try with the Badass. Takes 5 to 10 minutes to swap. If you try this, report back to the group as to the results. Good luck.

5. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    If the Hondo's badass has tighter string spacing, you won't be able to switch it since the saddles are filed for a specific string spacing when it is installed. If it's the same string spacing then you should be able to just swap it out real quick.

I find that a Badass ALWAYS makes the bass sound better and makes it a lot more responsive to my playing.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

I am in the camp that bridges don't make much of a difference in anything other than sustain, and most basses sustain plenty long with the stock bent/stamped bridge. So I usually choose a bridge based on stability, adjustability and looks.

The Badass II is more stable than the stock bridge, and keeps the saddles in place better, and is very user friendly when it comes to setting it up, as well as being so ugly that it is mean looking, so I say swap it out!:hyper:

7. jinithith2

jinithith2

Jul 15, 2007
    New Hampshire
    swap it. in my experience, the harmonics became more pronounced, tone in general became a lot richer and more solid, as well as increased sustain.
    I say swap it!

8. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    I find Badass II equals a bit more sustain and a bit brighter with a little less bottom end and everything feels more solid. I generally prefer the feel and the sound of a stock bridge

9. Andy_colassal

Andy_colassal

Nov 21, 2006
    Regina, SK
    The common belief is: More Mass = More Sustain.

I dig mine! and it looks badass too!

10. mccartjm

mccartjm

Oct 10, 2006
    one thing to keep in mind about "beefed up" bridges...along comes manufacturer "A", they want to make a replacement bridge. The first thing they do is assume that it must be heavier and better built, yes good idea. One of the first things they do to achieve this is increase the thickness of the base plate. This messes with the string clearance above the fret board and now after installing the new bridge you are stuck with having the saddles lowered all the way down and high action (think badass and gotoh). The solution of course is a shim, so plan on doing that. But i have found after shimming 3 or 4 of my basses that is has a really negative effect on the sound....it kills the rosonance, defenition, and volume *sometimes*. I dont know why shims seem to do this, after all they are just a piece of paper or wood at the end of the neck pocket, but keep in mind that even though a bridge is designed to make your bass sound better, it may make it sound worse in the end (my jazz with a badassII, all things being equal after installation, sounds mushy in the low end, whereas it sounded pretty decent before...go figure).

11. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    You could have swapped it about 12 times by now....I'm just sayin'

:D

12. Andy_colassal

Andy_colassal

Nov 21, 2006
    Regina, SK
    I have to disagree. I installed a BAII on my MIM Jazz Bass and i have the saddles about half way up with low action.

13. mccartjm

mccartjm

Oct 10, 2006
    that happens

14. Indeed. My Badass Bass III, which the saddles all the way down, have the strings sit flat or below the frets.

15. mccartjm

mccartjm

Oct 10, 2006
    i should make it clear that i put a badass and gotoh on a warmoth and a mexcian fender with an allparts neck. a FAT shim was in order on both basses. maybe its different on standard americans...