1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Badass Bridge II: Should I file saddles or not?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by selks, Mar 4, 2008.

1. selks

selks

Jul 28, 2006
    Hi everyone,

Sorry if -
    i) this question has been asked before. I'm only a newbie so please bear with me.
    ii) this question is in the wrong section...

But I have a dilemma. I have recently purchased a Badass Bass II bridge and have heard conflicting opinions about whether to file the saddles in or not.

Can I get away with not filing them? Your opinion on this would be great.

Great to be part of the Bass Playing community! :D

2. Flizzy21

Flizzy21

May 13, 2007
    I never filed the saddles on mine, i was planning to but was lazy and just put the strings on quick so i could jam with my friends. When i was playing the strings weren't moving around or anything and it sounded great so i just left it.

After months of playing and changing strings and stuff they kind of filed themselves and its all good now anyway

3. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    New York City
    Owner: Sadowsky Guitars Ltd.
    You must file them. The contact point is too flat without filing an angled groove. You also need to lay out the string spacing. If you just use the natural line of the strings on the Badass, the string spacing will be too narrow.

Roger

4. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    You maybe can get by without filing, but I can't. I play near the bridge a lot and pluck hard. With out filing the strings move on me. The notch does not have to be that deep, just enough to keep the string in place. A small tri-angle shaped file works well.

5. leftybasswtf

leftybasswtf

Mar 1, 2008
    When I installed mine I I played for a few months with the saddles untouched. I then brought it in for a set up and the tech filed them. It's not a must but the strings will slide a bit and mess up your tuning so I would have a tech go ahead and do it.

I once read a great article in BASS PLAYER Magazine where they asked the top bass luthiers what the single most important factor in tone was. NO ONE REALLY AGREED. Some said the neck, some said the wood, some said the pickups but I know believe it's mass & increased string tension at the bridge. For sustain and punch it's a huge difference. Perhaps tone isn't the right word. The Badass put my tone on steroids.

6. leftybasswtf

leftybasswtf

Mar 1, 2008
    BTW, I believe you can buy a MIM Jazz, put a Badass bridge on it and you have a FANTASTIC INSTRUMENT for cheap.

7. animal52

animal52

Jul 1, 2006
    DC area
    They're better filed. I've gotten some really weird (annoying) vibrations and buzzing at times when the string slipped out of the filed groove and sat on the flat part of the saddle. I think this makes a bigger difference for the heavier strings.

8. 3flowoj

3flowoj

Jan 13, 2005
    Morton IL
    When Roger Sadowsky answers your question, I believe you have your answer.

9. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    My question is why they are manufactured ungrooved in the first place?

10. So you can customize the string spacing. You can also buy them new with the grooves already filed

11. Mr.Bassie720

Mr.Bassie720

Feb 5, 2005
    Washington DC,Silver Spring,MD
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    I am not a Luthier, nor do I play one on TV. But I've owned several basses with Badass bridges and I have always had the saddles filed. Use round file, not triangular, as the triangular one may cause binding. The latest Badass bridge I've gotten came with the saddles pre-grooved, which is even better, as they are nice and smooth. I got it at Best Bass Gear.com. Nice price, too.

12. The Badass V is built on 19mm centers, meaning the string holes, spacing of the grooves, etc is spaced on that size. That made milling my saddles very easy for the 19mm spacing in my Squier. There was plenty of room on the saddles to go either way if needed.

First I laid out the bridge location based on the stock bridge. Then, I used my milling machine to mill the saddles rather than filing them. For me, it's just easier than filing. The saddles are aluminum and very easy to work with, it should be a breeze to file.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. phatduckk

phatduckk

May 24, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    i have a badass on 3 basses. 1 is filed and the rest are not... like someone said above; they kinda filed themselves. they've been fine for me both filed and unfiled.

but ya know... roger sadowsky says to file 'em and he knows a ton more than me - so id take his advice over mine.

14. bassic_element

bassic_element

Sep 20, 2006
    And I think this thread should be closed after this answer.

15. selks

selks

Jul 28, 2006
    I was thinking exactly that bassic_element!

I shall do as Sadowsky says! :)

16. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I file slots in the BA2 saddles using gauged nut files.

17. of course milling machine, these must be the cleanest notches I have seen yet on saddles, maybe a tad deep, but that should compensate for that thick bottom plate :)

18. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    if you can, send the one you have back and buy one with the pre-slotted saddles.

JR

19. Actually, I trigged out the depth of each slot based on the diameter of each string. They all sit at the same saddle height height, before adjuststing them for the fretboard radius. The slots are 45 degrees so each string contacts each saddle the exact same amount. If you notice in the bottom pic, they are all different. I have no idea if this is the best way to do it, it made the most sense to ME to do it this way :D Probably THE smartest thing to do would be have the saddles HARD anodized after the slots are cut. I'm not going to do that though.

20. flareaga

flareaga

Mar 1, 2007
    I have no idea what this topic is about.
    God i need help.
    Saddles? What? I have a badass II bridge...