Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Badass bridge info?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RealBK, Jun 16, 2002.

1. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Hi, Can any one tell me if the BADASS BASS BRIDGE VERSION 1 is the SAME SIZE AS THE BADASS II?

The reason i ask is i want to change the Geddy Lee version BADASS Bridge to a version 1.

Does the first model sound as good as the Badass II?

Thanks.

2. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    The BADASS I is NOT a direct replacement for the II model. The original BADASS (I) was designed as a Gibson bridge replacement back in the day. People did use them on Fenders before the II version came out, but the main problem is geometry. the I version is too tall to properly set up a Fender. You either need to shim the neck WAY back, or route the body about an 1/8" to set the bridge lower.
    Why do you want to do this anyway? The sound will be VERY similar.

3. XxBassmanxX

XxBassmanxX

Nov 21, 2001
    Rosman NC
    Well i got the badass one on my fretless rick (had to cut into body) and a badass 2 on my jazz deluxe and well honestly i like the feel of the badass 2 much better...also cutting into your bass may not be something you want to try. The baddass 2 seems to give more of a tight feel and connects more metal to the strings which i think is good for resonance. Anyway if your bent on getting a badass I my only recommendation is that you put a groove in the saddle where you are setting the strings so more connects and they dont slide around.

Joe

4. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Ya Know.......It's kinda funny.....I see lots of "pro" repairmen install Badass bridges and they don't cut slots for the strings! What are they thinkin'?

5. XxBassmanxX

XxBassmanxX

Nov 21, 2001
    Rosman NC
    Its just an idea im not saying he has to do that or anything but it works well for me and i *recommend doing it.

*means something that a person suggests anoher person consder or try.

Joe

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Putting a BadAss I on a Geddy Lee is a Bad idea. There's no reason to cut that bass in order to try a different bridge. I also doubt that changing the bridge will make much of a diffference tonally.

But it's your bass. Live and learn;)

7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I can't imagine it would make any difference at all tonally. The BAI, as mentioned, is desgined to retrofit Gibsons, the BAII to fit fenders. They look a little different because the original factory bridges are of course different, but I am fairly certain that they are very similar mass, materials, construction, etc.

I just see this as good reason to drill more holes and chew up the body of a bass.

Chas

8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    When I was youngster, I went through a spell of about 1,000 shows over a three-year period. In the process, I trashed 3 MIM Fenders, (two Ps and a J) I put BAII bridges on all three and not once did I cut grooves in the saddles. I never had any problem at all.

Chas

9. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I've never bothered to cut one either. The strings just stayed where they were.

10. Can anyone post a picture of these bridges? Or know where I can find pictures of them? Thanks.

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
  12. Ahh.. Thanks. Now I see what you mean about "slots for the strings". I was confused. It happens often. HA!

13. XxBassmanxX

XxBassmanxX

Nov 21, 2001
    Rosman NC
    The reason i slotted mine on the rick were because they were sliding around (badass I) but with the fender (badass II) they dont go anywhere so its not a problem. I really should get around to it becuse the pickups dont line up with the strings at the bridge pickup. I guess this is because ive worn a "groove" in with them too close together.

Joe