1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Badass Bridge not so Badass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fatsobasso, Oct 12, 2006.

1. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    I said this before but i must say this again,after taking my badass bass bridge2 off my geddy lee bass and putting this on it
    http://www.marshallparts.com/content/estore_details.asp?category=28&product=847
    the action is much much better and the feel of the strings is
    softer and easier to play,anyone with a geddy that likes a softer feel and lower action, pick up an old fender bridge and ditch the big metal badass,they should have designed the geddy around the original style bridge,it just plays better.

2. so will you sell me your your badass?......cuz ill buy it

3. You want mine? Brand new still in the sealed package. Chrome 4-string model. Grooves are uncut. I didn't know that or I wouldn't have bought it. $60 shipped if interested.

4. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    i know what you mean, but i dont like the instability of the standard fender bridge either...hey Fender, put some grooves underneath the saddles in all bridges, not only in the american ones!

5. Obese Chess

Obese Chess Spicy Big Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Bassdude, I might want that bridge.

6. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    I didn't like my 62 reissue jazz as much when i put a badass on but i prefer 70s ash/maple fenders with it on

7. gfried84

gfried84 Commercial User

May 7, 2005
    Owner Fried Guitars Inc.
    The action on your bass is better because the base plate of the brdige that you replaced it with is much thinner, this in effect brings the strings closer to the fingerboard. I think that the neck angle of your bass needed to be adjusted in order to obtain proper action and feel with the badass.

Gary

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Eh, I could take 'em or leave 'em. If one of my basses didn't come with a Badass stock, I probably would have never played one. Now that I have, I'm not in a rush to go get any more. It's not a bad bridge, but you're right... it's not really that badass.

9. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    Well it seems like all the geddy's i tried had that same feel,it might be possible that the neck angle with badass was off but i would not want to shim the neck, just to use a badass,thanks for the info though.;)

10. cmhgreg

cmhgreg

Oct 26, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    I put a BAII on my Jag as soon as I got it. I had to file the saddles. Admittedly, I didn't do an expert job and the string spacing was a bit off. I ended up putting the original bridge back on a few weeks ago and, much to my surprise, I found some growl and bite that I wasn't getting with the BAII. Also, I'm not having any problems with stability or intonation with the original bridge.

11. homerplaysbass

homerplaysbass

May 18, 2005
    Preston
    I put a Badass II on my Japanese P and it was a revelation. Better sustain and low end and notes just leapt off the fretboard.

So - I put one one my USA 75 RI Jazz and ......not so overwhelming.

I guess that's why it gets so many mixed reviews and comments.

12. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    that seems to be my response with it on my hwy 1 jazz bass....it's like, ehhhh, it's ok, but nothing earth shattering.... fortunately, I only spent $20 on it....but I just received a P bass with one on it, and that bass sounds amazing.....so, maybe certain setups benefit better from the BAII than others....

13. Kubs

Kubs

Jul 26, 2006
    Prague
    too many circumastances(wood, strings, players tastes of course players abilities...) to say clear that Badass is great or not

14. ldervish

ldervish

May 22, 2005
    Johnson City, TN
    Great word, homer!

BTW, haven't noticed much play difference on my MIA -J with the BA3, but it gives me the option of top load that I didn't have before. Negative is that the "F" bridge cover won't sit down now, have to either shim it up, leave it lopsided, or take it off.

15. Gastambide

Gastambide

Mar 4, 2005
    I put a Badass II on my '80 P-bass back in '85. No regrets. Awesome fundamental on the open E string with plenty of bite. (Of course, that bass does weigh about 1,000 pounds - so I'm sure that doesn't hurt.) Recently, however, I put one on my Rick 4003. The Rick has NEVER sounded good since I bought it new (mail order) in '84. I replaced the bridge right away with a Schaller, but the bass never had a strong low E. No matter how I adjusted the pickups, the E had less volume than the rest of the strings. I put in Bartolini pickups - to no avail. Then about 3 months ago my brother asked me if I wanted his new Badass II which he purchased for his Fender Jazz, but decided not to use. I put it on the Rick - problem solved! Okay, electronically it's still not fabulous (what do you expect, it's a Rick, therefore the pickup placement is not going to ever yield a tight, punchy tone), but the E has plenty of volume AND sustain - something it NEVER had before. I was ready to give up on this bass, but it has been resurrected, thanks to the Badass!

16. The Craw

The Craw

Jul 31, 2006
    The Badass changes the traditional Fender tone slightly. Whether or not you like that is just a matter of taste. I've never had a problem with a stock Fender bridge rattling like some people have.

17. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    AllParts sells the threaded saddle bridge for $20. It may not be the genuine Fender one, but I can't tell the difference.

18. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I just tried a '75 RI bridge on my geddy and it completely ruined the bass. The badass makes it brighter, deeper, and gives it much more sustain and focus, without giving up anything I can tell. The bass did not sound warmer with the traditional bridge.

Overall, I'd say the badass is pretty badass.

I will say though, that my rule is never modify a bass you like. If the bass is "lacking" something then you might try it, but its usually just "the grass being greener". I broke that rule tonight by trying the trad bridge, and it was a mistake. The badass is back on, and we're back in business.

19. So what you're saying here is that Geddy Lee himself doesn't really know what's good for him and he should use your recommendation. :rollno: You do realize, don't you, that Fender approached him to make his bass as a signature version? Fender didn't design the bass for Geddy.

20. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I feel that heavier massed bridges do seem to tighten up the fundamental notes on basses. People that are used to the older vintage style basses probably aren't used to that extra oomph, and it make sound like its actually taking away character in the harmonics- when it is in fact adding a mass of low end but not really focusing the harmonics as much as the lighter bridges. Basically it is just apples and oranges- I've really come to like the extra fundamental of heavy massed bridges, but I prefer the Schaller bridges, as you don't need to groove the saddles yourself and string spacing is adjustable. The Schallers also come with a plate of metal on the bottom that is removable in case you are replacing a much thinner bridge- something that Badass bridges sometimes have problems with (I've seen basses that people routed out the wood underneath the bridge just to accomodate the Badass).
    Karl Zickrick

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 20, 2021