Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Badass Bridge on Gibson EB-3

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by Wagner, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Wagner

Wagner

Feb 27, 2002
    Germany
    hi mike,

i want to put a badass bridge on my gibson eb-3 and before that i want to ask you if you did this modification on your bass yourself. or is it better to have it installed by a pro? could you please tell me where the right position for the bridge is? (can the center hole of the string mute be used?) what is the distance from the twelfth fret? i know it should be a bit less than half the scale length, but where exactly did you put it? how did you file the saddles? which tools did you use? do you need different files for the different strings? how deep did you cut?
    and a last question: in which ways does this modification really help? on my bass i have problems with intonation and the sound of the e-string. will the bridge solve these problems?
    thank you so much!!!

ralf

:help:

2. slinkp

slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    hmm... sounds like you aren't sure you really need / want it. It *might* help with your intonation issues, but so might showing your bass to a tech and asking him if the intonation is fixable with the current bridge. E string sound... I've no idea. You might also try heavier strings on that little guy.

Modifying any vintage bass will hurt resale value, if you care about that. I know some gibson bass nuts who get grumpy when the subject of Badass bridges comes up...

3. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hi,

if you're going to play a bass, then make it work for you - that's my opinion. there's other bridges other than badass, there's a schecter one I'm gonna try on my little gibson cuz the badass is a little too high and I can't get the saddles lower.

watch out for heavier strings on a shortscale bass, they can warp the necks. intonation is always tough on a smaller scale bass w/the low strings. hell, the bridge my eb-3 originally came w/had no individual string adjustments for either height or intonation - you had the options of moving only the whole bridge!

it's your tool, work it the way you want to get the job done. no offense to your thoughts, slinkp - I know what you're saying about "vintage value" but obviously watt is the wrong person to get advice about that!

on bass, watt

4. Wagner

Wagner

Feb 27, 2002
    Germany
    hi mike,

thanks for answering, but will the badass actually improve the sound of the bass or is it just to get better intonation?
    is it possible to install it oneself? how did you file the saddles?

thanks,

ralf :confused:

5. slinkp

slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    heheh, I actually like your crazy stickered-over basses. I probably couldn't give away my main bass because it's beat to hell and has an expressionista-pukey paint job i splattered all over it years ago. But I love that thing, had it about 20 years now. Getting a bit heavy for me though.

6. watt

ralf,

better sound cuz of a more solid connect between the bridge and the body. I filed the saddles using both a small three-sided and even smaller round jewelers file. you have to be patient cuz you can always remove more material but you can't put it back once it's been filed away. I installed mine myself but if you have no experience, have a well-qualified tech do it. also remember that there's other bridge replacements besides the badass one.

on bass, watt

7. Wagner

Wagner

Feb 27, 2002
    Germany
    hi mike,

i already have a badass bridge, but i have not dared to install it yet. i was not sure if it will help with the sound. now i´ll try to install it and file the saddles myself.

could you give me the correct distance (maybe between 12th fret and center hole of bridge)?

thanks for your patience,

ralf :)

8. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
  9. I've got an EB-0 that I had a older G&L L1000 bridge installed on. It's hard to tell if it made a lot of tonal difference, but it just used to have the 2 point, nylon saddled tune-o-matic on it.

Sorry, I can't help with the measurements.

As far as devaluing a vintage piece... if it is your instrument, it's your instrument to do with as you see fit. If it's a vintage instrument that hasn't been boogered, remember someone will likely own that instrument long after your gone, and there are only so many of a given instrument made in a given year. In the long run, you're only taking care of the instrument until the next owner. :)

10. watt

hi,

I totally agree w/the thoughts here regarding it being YOUR instrument which means it's you who's going be working it so make it work for you. anything else is more about collecting, I think.

on bass, watt

11. jamesonellis

jamesonellis

Nov 12, 2004
    name that tune

the cavern by liquid liquid,also used in white lines by grandmaster flash

12. slinkp

slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    Ding ding ding! Great bassline.

I gotta stop hangin' with gearheads, the collector mentality is rubbbing off on me. It was more fun when I didn't give a **** :help: