Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

badass bridge question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dadodetres, Mar 8, 2006.

1. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    Hi!
    I just got a new fender bass (pics soon)

The bass came with a badass bridge installed, but the seller included the original bridge.

I want to install the original frist, and them when im used to the stock bass try and change it.
    So how do i change it? just un-screw the bridge and screw the new one? or the is something else i should know???

Also, how can i tell if it is a badass I or II ???

Thanks!

2. mariner

mariner

Feb 18, 2005
    Front Royal, VA
    If I were you,I would leave it as is unless you're a stickler for stock equipment.

The stock Fender bridge has the potential for lateral movement that the BadAss prevents.

Intonation is also said to be better with the BadAss.

YMMV...

3. gfried84

gfried84 Commercial User

May 7, 2005
    Owner Fried Guitars Inc.
    It will say badass II on it for badass 2. It most probably is a 2 the 1 is for neck through type instruments.

4. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    But i first want to know how it goes with the original, so then i can know the difference that the badass makes.

5. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    [​IMG]

Top is a BAII, bottom is a BA I.

6. Jesuslovesyou

Jesuslovesyou

Mar 9, 2006
    I've heard the BA2 bridge gives your bass extra punch... dunno how though.

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Just take off the strings, unscrew the old bridge, and put the original one on. Simple as that. I personally like the original bent metal Fender bridge much better than the Badass II. It looks, sounds, and plays better to me. The difference in sound and playability is extremely subtle.

8. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    That depends on the bass. The BA II made my Pbass go from unusable to my main axe in one band. The low E was totally lost in the mix (heavy guitar formate) until I dropped the BAII in. It seemed to "focus" the sound of the lower notes where they stood out much better.

9. Calif De Funk

Calif De Funk Guest

Dec 15, 2004
    Sweden
    Bad As bridge (both I and II) definitely affects the sound of your bass. Since it is larger and rather massive, it will interact much more to the vibrations of the strings and the body. The sound will increase its sustain and attack.

Check out Marcus Miller

10. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    Badass I = 3 screw mounting
    Badass II = 5 screw mounting

its more than likely a BAII as they were made to replace fender bridges. replacing it is easy, just remove strings, unscrew BAII, screw in stock bridge, put on strings, tune. Voila!

11. Coal Man

Coal Man

Feb 25, 2005
    Mmm, larger and more massive? Can anyone say 2-TEK:p

12. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    Its a badass 1..... but doesnt say badass anywere....
    The Little box in which the guy gave me the original bridge sayd : SCHALLER. Is this the badass brand? or is a badass copy?

13. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    At this point pictures would be very helpful.

14. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY

here:

[​IMG]

here is the full bass:
    [​IMG]

15. thats a schaller bridge not a badass

16. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx

Yep, Schaller Roller Bridge. Great Bridge, BTW.

17. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    How is it compared with the badass ? or with the stock?

Any way im changin it with the original at least for 1 or 2 months.... then ill see what i do....

I repeat the question cause i dont want to braeks anything....

-take strings
    -un-screw the screws.
    -remove bridge
    -put new bridge and screw it on
    -strings on

18. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I consider them fairly comparable. I have 4 BadAss bridges and one Schaller. The Schaller is almost as heavy and a bit more versatile than the BA, BUT it is NOT a direct replacement on the Fender (if it's not a string-thru, anyway), so you should have extra screw holes (5 for the fender) underneath. Personally, I'd jus leave that bent piece of tinfoil Fender calls a bridge off. :D

19. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    As others have implied, that Schaller roller bridge is generally considered to be far suerior to a Badass II. Functionally they are the same, that is to say, high mass. Your bass surely has the holes for the original bridge underneath the Schaller. You'll need the original five screws to install it, you should have those with the old bridge. Again, it should be as easy as unscrew one and screw the other in.

20. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    bah! I LOVE THAT BASS! '75 reissue yes?