Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Badass bridge question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jrock111, Oct 12, 2000.

1. jrock111

jrock111

Oct 10, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I'm pretty new to playing the bass and purchased a MIM P-bass. I recently picked up a Badass II bridge to replace the flimsy stock one. I noticed the bridge doesn't have any grooves cut out to stablize the strings. Is this the way the bridge is supposed to be designed or is the owner supposed to have a custom job done for their guage of strings? Just wondering. Thanks in advance.

2. yep your supposed to cut your own grooves

3. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I've had great success with two BadAss II's on a stock P and a home-built Warmoth P-style with a Fender neck. I never cut any grooves -- just used it right out of the package. Even with a somewhat heavy touch, I never had any problems with string stability.

4. Eli, that's interesting cuz they really are supposed to be cut. I put an original BadAss on my first Precision (don't believe some of the hype about this doesn't work) and I had fairly small notches in mine to keep the string in place.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes, I've definitely seen diagrams in bass magazines showing you how to cut the grooves in a badass bridge with a needle file and giving advice on how to get the grooves in the right place. If there is any interest, I'll try to dig out the magazine from my collection.

6. Rumblin' Man

Rumblin' Man Banned

Apr 27, 2000
    Route 66
    Please do Bruce. I've developed my own procdeure for grooving the saddles but I'd love to see what the authors have to say.

7. TedP66

TedP66

Aug 25, 2000
    Sounds like a pain in the butt. Are there other good bridges out there that are direct replacements for 4 string fenders??

Thanks
    TED