1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Badass bridge v. fender stock

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Medford Bassman, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    Okay, recently I changed the bridge on my MIA Jazz. I had installed a Basass III about 3 years ago. Like the extra beefiness of the bridge and the look plus all the good reviews here.
    I switched back the the original Fender stock bridge a few weeks ago to really compare. The stock bridge has the notches in the saddles to adjust spacing and it top loading and string through.

Surprisingly, I have noticed a difference in tone. The BadAss sounded nice but I felt the emphasis was in the higher mid area and treble. The stock MIA bridge, at least to me, emphasized the lower mids and a little more bass. I don't know if it has something to do with the metal used in both bridges.

Anyone switch back to stock MIA bridges after trying something else? Or is my mind playing tricks on me?

2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I've noticed a similar effect using Badass IIs and traditional Fender bent plate style bridge, specifically the threaded saddle bridge (aka '62 RI bridge) and later single slotted saddle type. The BAII allows more highs into the signal and therefore I think it's more transparent than the threaded or slotted saddle type.

Personally, I usually prefer the traditional bent plate threaded/slotted saddle sound.

3. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    thanks for the input. I prefer the stock bridge as well with threaded saddles.

nice to know
    i'm not crazy!

4. wimpy

wimpy

Aug 1, 2004
    Czech Republic
    I had Hipshot A style/brass bridge on mine Fender Marcus V ...same effect as you with BadAss. I moved back to stock Fender bridge but I like quick string change bridges so my next attempt is Schaller 2000 bridge...will see...

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    the high-mass vs. low-mass argument rages on at talkbass, but count me in as a fan of the threaded saddle vintage-type bridge, too.

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Differences are very subtle - almost nonexistent - with me playing the bass. But that said I like the bent metal Fender style bridge better than the high-mass Badass II style bridge on a Fender style bass.

7. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    I have Badass bridges on all my Fenders and I'm happy with the tone.

8. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    stock bridge all the way for me....

9. wimpy

wimpy

Aug 1, 2004
    Czech Republic
    ...and for me! :bassist:

10. whoa - very interesting! I've always wondered . . . the BAIII looks pretty cool, was considering it for my Gas'ing (eventual:D) Warmoth build . . .

11. wimpy

wimpy

Aug 1, 2004
    Czech Republic
    ...I'm after long bridges replacements journey and I like stock bridge on my Marcus V. best...but I don't say other bridges are bad, they looks much much better then Fender DLX bridge...I just found I leave my bass with Fender DLX bridge becouse it's best choice for my ears... ;)

12. Your description is accurate about the differences in midrange emphasis. I've used Badass bridges several times in the past & came to realize I prefer the stock Fender style bridge. I had a SX jazz style bass with an ash body and the tone differences with both style bridges were very apparent with that bass.

13. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    Never changed my bridge because there was nothing noticeably deficient about the stock one that would make me think about changing it. That, and also there is NO universal consensus that the BadAss improves the tone/function of the bass.

14. jrmintz

jrmintz

Oct 11, 2008
    I prefer the sound of Badass bridges, but I had another reason for taking off the threaded bridge - I play pretty hard and every so often I would break strings on the threads. Not a problem with the Badass.

15. MicG

MicG Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2006
    Garden City, Michigan
    I've got a Fender stock threaded saddle bridge that I'm getting ready to put on a Geddy Lee Jazz. I actually ended up taking the springs off of another BA II bridge and putting those into the Fender stock bridge; they were twice as long as the stock springs. The saddles seem much more secure in place now. I wonder if anyone else has ever done or heard of something like this?

16. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I've stretched the springs on some bridges so they'd fit tighter.

17. Stock bridge on my fretless Jazz Bass and a Badass II (standard issue) on the Geddy Lee Jazz Bass.

Badass I's on two of my four Rickenbacker 4001's, one being the 4080/12.

The Rickenbacker bridge is cool with the string mute but it sucks big time to intonate the saddles, at least for me. I like the ease of being able to turn the screws at the back of the bridge to set the intonation as opposed to having to lift up the saddle piece on the Ric every time I need to make a slight adjustment.
    Maybe there's some kind of 'trick' to getting Ricks intonated faster/better, but after all these years trying, I am glad that only my CS and 1980 Burgandyglo 4001 have the original bridges.

Anyway, I like the more solid sound from the heaiver bridges like the Badass ones as opposed to the stock Fender bridge, but with my fretless, I wanted a 'JACO' thing and figured that if the stock bridge was fine with him and in any way helped create 'that' sound, I'd just keep it on the bass.

Really depends on the type of music and the overall sound you want to get from your bass.
    Every little bit can effect your tone to some degree.

Just make sure the string fits nicely into the slot on the saddle making 100% contact and file away those burrs!

18. That sounds interesting. Please let me know if the GL bass sounds any different when you swap out the bridges.

19. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Baddass bridges do add extra treble to the sound as a result of the metals used. Same for real floyd tremelos for guitars. I dont like the extra zingyness they add. I like other hi mass bridges better for replaceing the thin ones that are stock on most fenders. To add better balance between lows and highs and better string vibration transfer. Locking brass bridges are my fave for tone and performance.

glivanos likes this.