Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

badass bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fretbuzz, Apr 9, 2003.

1. hi, I just purchased a badass 2 bridge from ebay and noticed that there are no string grooves like several others I have seen for sale. my question is, do I have to file grooves myself, or am I supposed to leave it as is. the bridge appears to be in the original shrink plastic (backing cardboard removed) thanks for your help.

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    You should file the grooves yourself or hire a professional to do so for you. You can get the tools you need from www.stewmac.com

I'll admit it's a downside to this bridge, but it's a great bridge!:D

3. ok, thanks. I think I'll try it myself, I have many good triangular files that I think should do the job. should I just file grooves that suit the string guage or make them all about the same depth? also, when I take the old bridge off, can I expect a ground wire attatched to it? I can see a wire from the control cavity that goes in that direction, is it soldered to it? I decided to bite the bullet and replace the pick ups, bridge and all control pots due to the noisy hum of this MIM jazz. any other words of wisdom before I get started? thanks again.

4. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    filing 4 string slots of the same size is not the correct way to go ,it is a little more complex than that my friend,each one are different sizes(representing each of the four notes)there is an angle to the slot(a certain contact point will give best sound)and proper spacing is critical and correct depth of the slot,it is best to have a pro do it,if you are confident at least have something to go by doing this blindly is no way to go(since its a 65.00 mistake)good luck its a good addition to your bass

5. do you know if the slots should be made with a round file or a triangular file?

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Since the string is round, I'd use a round file. ;):D

7. hey, I had to ask, I know it sounds stupid, but I've heard of stranger things in my life. since you know so much about it do you have any other words of wisdom for me.

8. josh, how far down should the string sit in the saddle? halfway or more??

9. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    my bridge has triangle slot's filed in to it,i've also seen them round shaped too,as long as its done correctly the shape wont make or break it.but imo the bad ass is a great addition to a fender bass slots or not!:bassist:

10. yes to anyone with badass experience, I welcome all comments. also, what about grounding the bridge, do I just solder the wire to the bottom side?

11. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Sounds like sound advice to me, Fretbuzz.

Don't even attempt to solder the wire to the bridge. It would take more heat than any soldering iron will produce. Just place the wire in a position that allows the bridge to pinch the wire against the body. Scrape the wire shiny before you screw down the bridge.

Hey, this would have been a great thread for the set up forum. :):)

Pkr2

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    this belongs in setup, not basses. off it goes... :)

13. ok, here's my update. I've successfully filed the bridge and installed with ground wire, all went well. now I'm trying to install the 60's reissue pick ups, they each have a shielded foam spring, the neck pick up has a long arm on the shield. my question is do I point it forward and apply a layer of foil to the pickguard? please help!