Badass bridges...different? Yes. Better? IMHO No.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bazzanderson, Feb 26, 2006.

1. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've been a Badass II lover since I played my favorite 4 string (Modded Ric 4003 with Badass II bridge). So....I ordered a Badass V for my MIA Jazz Bass Deluxe. Swapped it out about 6-7 months ago.

Pros....a definitel Zingier quality to the tone with maybe just a tad bit better sustain. Strings felt a bit "different" to my picking hand....felt a bit harder...hard to describe.

Cons? first...nothing. Over the past few months I've started to miss the woody, darker more resonant? tone that my bass had prior to the bridge mod.

So yesterday I put the original Fender string through bridge back on. I think I'll keep it this way. The woodier, more resonant (I don't even know if that is the right word?) tone is back and guess what?....I really don't notice a difference in how the strings feel. Weird.

I guess the point of this thread is to describe my experience. Badass bridges definitely bring something "different" to a Fender but not necessarily better.

2. steve21

steve21 Banned

Maybe it's the string-thru ness you want? Try the Badass III.

My BA2 is better for harmonics to my ears.
  3. eqvolvorama

eqvolvorama Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia

I agree with you fully. I think that ANY higher-mass bridge, Badass or no, adds sustan and maybe some high end, but at the expense of some mid-range growl. There's no free lunch.

I'm actually at the moment considering removing the BAII on the Geddy and putting in a more vintage bridge. The other week I had the pleasure of playing an original 70s jazz with the bent-tin bridge, and felt the sound was 'poppier', growlier, and all-in-all more interesting.
  4. Whisper

Whisper Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2001
    New York, New York
    I feel that the Badass bridge kills some of the "thump" on the beginning of each note - that thump helps you cut through a mix IMO, and that's why I plan on selling my Geddy.
  5. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    IMO, the BadAss Bridge is the Tara Labs Cable (w/o the controversy, of course) of bridges.
  6. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I have already done this with my Geddy jazz, The low's seem a tad mellower and the bass is slightly less bright. I have never looked back! The only thing about my Geddy that I don't care for is with the pups on full it get's growlier than my 75RI jazz, but I can live with that.
  7. Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    I have this crazy, completely unsubstantiated idea that a bridge sort of "plays into" the body of an axe. Changing it out would decouple it from the finish somehow, losing some kind of "magical break in" that happens while the finish is still curing and out-gassing VOCs.

Where do I get this? People break in audiophile speakers for like days with special CDs that play certain bass frequencies... also, my old DB opens up in tone the more I play it.

Also, I just love the big brass saddles on my '81 Badassed Ibby. Why not just play through a tube preamp for that midrane growl?
  8. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX

True...that might be it. I don't think the Badass V (direct replacement for MIA Deluxe Vs) has come out yet. When it does I'd be interested in testing one out.

9. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    A Thought I had regarding Badass bridges:

If they have so much more punch and sustain, then why do big-name manufacturers make their basses with either completely traditionional fender-style bridges, or at least the round saddles akin to fender-style bridges? I'm refering to Musicman, Sadowsky, Lakland, etc. I wouldn't think that Sadowsky and certain Lakland models would have a BAII, as they seem to reproduce a vintage vibe, but one would think that Musicman, in already producing massively punchy basses, would go for something like this.

On second thought, that's most likely a stupid question, as it's probably just a matter of price.

I recently put a BAII on my SX, and I'm still trying to figure out if I like it or not. As my bass is in pieces right now, I think I'm going to slap on the old bridge for a while to better compare the two.

At first I was really excited to finally upgrade my bass, so naturally the BAII made a monumental difference in tone!:rolleyes: I do love the asthetic quality of these bridges, though.

We'll see.
  10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I completely agree. In fact the "different but not better" principle applies to a lot of gear: instruments, strings, amps, etc.
  11. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    I currently have the BAII on my MIJ '75 Reissue and I'm thinking about switching to this bridge:

It is a high mass design like the BAII but with saddles more like the original fender style. It might be the best of both worlds...
  12. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Tagima ( a great brazilian guitar/bass company) has a new bass called Coyote that has a wood bridge....seems pretty cool.