Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

badass bridges

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by apoodangle, Nov 27, 2003.

1. i've heard a bunch about badass bass bridges, who manufactures em and where's their website? that and what's so good about them?

2. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    Leo Quan makes them and here is the website:

http://www.leoquan.com/html/welcome.html

They are supposed to add sustain and note clarity. I can't really give an opinion on them since I have never tried a bass with one installed, but from what I hear they are very well built and good replacements for the cheapo fender style bridges.

3. I have a Badass 1 on my fretless.

Damn good bridge. Very massy. Adds sustain to it, which is good because it is a fretless.

Very good bridges.

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    How are the screw holes on a Badass I spaced in comparison to the Badass II? Can you put a 1 on where a Fender style bridge was, or should you definitely use the 2? How do they compare soundwise?

5. ah thanks guys

i'm not lookin at it right now so i could be wrong but the badass 1 has 3 screw holes and is designed for other brand basses besides fender, the badass II has the normal 4 screw holes for fender basses

BUT it says on their site so i'd check there before taking my word on it

6. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    If your are replacing a fender style bridge you want the BA II. The BA I is too tall to be installed on a Fender without routing the bass and thus the BA II. On my old Gibson, the BA I made a world of difference. Be aware that you will have to notch the bridge after installation at the proper string spacing.

7. Somebassguy

Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
    The BA 11 will screw exactly into the holes of the original vintage fender bridge. No mods needed. Not sure about the BA 1.

8. Exactly.

BTW, check out the Gotoh bridges, they are reliable and fit without drilling.

http://www.stairwaytokevin.com.au/dept.asp?deptid=309

[​IMG]
    Treena

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Too tall to install without routing? Why would you have to rout the bass for a tall bridge?

10. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    The Gotoh 201 is a direct fit for Fenders. It cost about 25.00 from Warmoth. No string notching required.

11. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    "Too tall to install without routing? Why would you have to rout the bass for a tall bridge?"

Because the strings will sit about a 1/2" above the neck if you install the BA I on a Fender. The BA I does not adjust downward enough to get playable action. When Leo Quann realized this he built the BA II with a thinner block. Its pretty evident if you look at both bridges.

12. I've got a Badass II on my fretless. It's great. Very Heavy...I didn't realize this until i took it off to refinish.

13. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Another good point. If you purchase a NEW BAII bridge, you will need to have someone notch the saddles for you (or do it yourself.) Gotoh makes a great bridge and they're considerably either.

I like both bridges alot, so you'll have to decide.

G'Luck.
    -Mike

14. there is some controversey over the overall effectiveness of the badass II
    some say they have used it on their fender and noted loss of bottom end
    i used one and noted a more clean and sonorous open A..the bottom end was satisfactory...
    i have reverted to the fender bridge prior to sale of the instrument but thought the badass II was a good upgrade..
    the badass I i have seen on a bass but it wasnt a fender..it looked like it was brass and very chunky...
    it is a simple design and not as well engineered as say a schaller...
    but mass wise is just the ticket.:)

15. The BAII is a nice 5-string bridge too. I played a parts-built custom of a friend's not too long ago and the right hand string spacing was as comfy as a classic Fender.