Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Badass bridges

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Foster2004, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Foster2004

Foster2004

Sep 30, 2004
    Boonton, NJ
    I'm looking to add a new bridge my Fender P bass. It's an american made with a string through body. Does anyone know which type of bad ass will fit this bass without having to re-drill some new holes?

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I would recommend against changing the bridge on your Fender. But if you insist...

The Badass is a servicable bridge, the nice thing is it doesn't need redrilling on ol skool Fenders, I don't know about your P-Bass. The bad thing is you need to notch the saddles, Gotoh makes a bridge that is functionally better than the Badass (no notching required, also fits old skool Fender screwholes).

The Badass does look nice, a big shiny piece of chrome.

Neither of these bridges are anywhere near the quality of the stock bridge already on your string thru body USA Fender. For that you'd have to buck up for a roller-type Schaller, but you're talking $75 for the hardware alone, then it will have to drilled into new holes to be installed.

I put a badass on my Fender Jazz and regretted it. I liked the bass better with the Fender bridge.

3. Foster2004

Foster2004

Sep 30, 2004
    Boonton, NJ
    im only changing it b/c somehow my bridge got a little rusted and corroded. maybe ill just replace it with another fender bridge? Although it sounds like I'm not getting a very "bright" sound from the guitar. Even when I put new strings on it, i still get the feeling like im playing dead strings. It has a very quick decay. could it possibly be my strings too? I'm using ernie balls right now, but i'd like to make the switch to somethin else.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I don't think changing the bridge will do anything to make your tone "brighter". If you've got major issues with your bridge being messed up, I'd recommend the Gotoh Fender drop-in replacement over the Badass. You may want to remove your bridge and try using some metal polish on it. Brasso does wonders on rusted and corroded bass hardware.:)

....But don't use Brasso on gold plated hardware. I know.... :bawl:

5. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    A Badass II will drop right on. Save the old one though because you may well decide the heavier more sustainy bridge ain't what you want. I had a Badass II one my pre for a number of years and recently went back to an original cheapo Fender.

6. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Make SURE(!!!) you get those notches grooved correctly, or else you will suffer from broken strings and rattling. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, take it to a luthier who has experience doing that. It may not sound like something that is that difficult, but if you've ever had one poorly (or even slightly poorly) notched, you know how much it can suck. Me, I know how much it can suck, unfortunately. :(

7. Honestly i've put Badass bridges on 2 of my Fenders & never notched the saddles. I think they are better off that way. I've never broken a string on either bass either. :D

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Waste of money, IME. Don't bother with a Badass, just polish that one you've got up nice and shiny.

The dead, no sustain thing is mostly likely old strings. How long have you been using that set of ernies?

10. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Let me start by saying that I am an authorized dealer of Badass bass bridges.

You have a 3 hole bridge. The Badass II (whether top-loaded or through-body version) is for a standard 5 hole Fender bridge so it is not a drop in replacement for your bass.

A Badass III is in development and is designed specifically for the string-through 3 hole Fenders and will be a direct replacement. It'll have notched saddles too. I believe it was previewed at Summer NAMM (to dealers only) and will probably be available after the next NAMM show.

Tom

11. Foster2004

Foster2004

Sep 30, 2004
    Boonton, NJ
    Hey, thanks for all of the advice. I'm going to try the Brasso to polish up the bridge and then try some new strings. The strings on my bass now have been on there for about a month.

12. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    when will that be? im curently in the planing of an warmoth string through bass(will have the money for it in january..) and im planing on putting an badass II with stringthrough setup on that one...(i saw they had one for string through on www.bestbassgear.com ...)

13. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Well, Eddie, there's Winter and Summer NAMM. So the next one is Winter NAMM...so around Jan/Feb, Winter NAMM should be there and a Badass III should be available.

14. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    I just got done putting the 201 on, and even with the humongous saddles lowered to within a hair of being flat on the plate, it's still too high. So I go to put the Fender saddles on, and the long Gotoh screw (the Fender screw doesn't fit through the plate's butthole :meh: ) that holds them has a thread that's too skinny if that makes sense to ya. Off to Lowe's tommorrow to aleviate the problem. All in all the Gotoh's bigger mass actually does make the tone jump out just a little bit more and makes my E feel really solid. Even if it didn't the bass just feels complete and looks way better with that thing on.

15. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I had the same problem with the 201. To work around it, I used the saddles from the Fender bridge too. That helped a little, then I used exposed core strings to bring the strings down bit. And people complain about filing Badass saddles... :rolleyes:

16. pdusen

pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    I keep hearing you guys say that the five and 3 screws aren't compatible for Fenders and Badasses... But I swear I read about somebody doing it. He said that the middle three screws were almost dead on, just a bit tight.

17. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    That may be the case but then the string-through holes wouldn't match up. The 3 hole bridge has mounting holes that are lined up with the string-through holes. That's not the case with the Badass II string-through bridge

Tom

18. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    why not get a brand new MIA fender bridge?

it's higher mass and will work properly...

...there's also hipshot...very nice...brass or aluminum.

19. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    HOLY ZOMBIE THREAD REVIVAL! :eek:

20. SlingBass4

SlingBass4

Feb 28, 2009
    Kansas City
    The Badass III is da bomb - I don't understand why anyone would slam it :rollno:

There's not any better a replacement bridge out there for the money IMO :smug: