Badass Bridges

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tplyons, Sep 15, 2003.

1. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Wondering about getting a Badass II Bass Bridge for my Mexi P-bass. Do you need to cut notches in them? I've never been much of a Fender guy but I fell in love with this $200 chunk of wood :)
  2. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    I have a bad ass II bass bridge on my p bass and I didn't cut notches for the strings on the saddles. Sounds fine to me. I like these bridges alot. Hope this helps. Good Luck!!!
  3. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've had a Badass on my Jazz Bass since the early '80s. I still love it, even thought the design is near archaic.

You can go either way, file the notch yourself, or let the string do it over time. Eventually you have a notch, if you leave it up to the strung. However, in the meantime, you might a have a G string that moves around a small bit.

I seem to recall leaving it alone for awhile, but filing a notch at least for the G.
  4. RopStop

Oct 5, 2003

I was wondering. Is it possible to set up a bass with strings through body with a badass II bridge? I saw a website where it was done ( but I can't figure out how that's done.

Any suggestions?

5. flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    I'm curious...why is the Badass II so popular, when you can get the Gotoh 201 with notched saddles and it looks to be a better bridge?

That's what I'm getting when I get my first Jazz bass!
  6. HAHAHAHA:p :p :p :D
  7. yep- I strung my Warmoth P through the body using a BadassII - i drilled holes through the baseplate in line with the mounting screws.

I had to file the saddles in places so the strings had a clearer path over them into the holes, but no problems with string breakage or buzzes.

re. Gotoh 201 - I've put one on my Yamaha RBX270F.
    it's about 2/3rds the weight of a BaddassII (it's not completely solid- on the underside you can see the tailpiece is hollow at points, also the baseplate is smaller, so you don't get quite as much sustain and clarity as a Baddass).
  8. ps.

hmm- looks like he didn't use a drillpress when drilling the holes for the string-thru ferrules.

neither did I when I put my Warmoth P together- one ferrule is slightly out of line:oops:
  9. flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    thanks for the info on the Gotoh 201.

We used to have a band in Kansas City called "The Now". I remember them as being pretty good at what they did too!