Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

badass: essex or fender?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkfish, Aug 30, 2002.

1. funkfish

funkfish Guest

Jun 20, 2002
    U.S., Princeton, NJ
    if i get a badass bridge, should i put it on my alder fretless essex pbass or my ash fretted fender mia jbass?

which would it benefiet more?

i play the jbass a lot more, but ive been told that since it already has a solid ash body, the badass wont do much and it isnt worth it. i know the bridge will work wonders for the essex, but i dont play that as much.

help!

2. funkfish

funkfish Guest

Jun 20, 2002
    U.S., Princeton, NJ
    also, which would be better, a badass 1 or 2?

is the only diffrence the heavier metel in the 1?

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The original Badass was designed as a replacement bridge for Gibson basses and basses with similar bridges. To install one of these on your Essex or Fender, you will have to rout the top of the body and inset the bridge a couple of millimeters. I am not sure of the exact measurement.

The Badass II was designed as a direct replacement for Fender bridges, no routing is required. To keep your bass as original as possible, and for easiest mounting, the Badass II would be the best option.

4. This has always been one of the greatest bass myths I've ever run across. E, you've got the first part right but the part about having to inlet the body just isn't completely true. In 1976, I was told the same thing. I had my brand new '76 P bass and wanted a better bridge (a pioneer?). The BadAss was the only thing available and I was told the same thing about it's installation. I took the bass to Greg Tringas of Tringas Stringed Instruments for the installation and when I got it back it was perfect without any routing. I've always liked low actions and there was plenty of room for adjustment. Why did this happen? It could be a case of the fabled mid-70's erratic quality - my bass was somehow a special case, or it could be entirely untrue from the get go. Regardless, I've seen several Fenders from the era with original BA's on them and none have had the legendary routing. As always YMMV.

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If you explain what you're after that the original bent metal bridges don't provide that would help.

For the price of a single Badass II you could get a replacement Gotoh bridge for both instruments. This would give you the high mass you want (again, why?) for a much lower price.

However, there's no denying that the Badass II is a very attractive piece of hardware. If you're doing this for aesthetic reasons (a completely valid reason IMO) the Gotoh's not going to cut it.

I've played both Ps and Js too and IMO the low mass bridge is important to the J bass "Vibe". I've replaced a MIM J bass with a Badass II and regretted it (though others love it - everyone has different tastes). I'd go so far as to say that if I had to do it over again, I'd get the custom J bass in my avatar built with a bent metal Fender style bridge. However, I do like the feel and sound of high mass bridges on a P bass. Go figure!

In my opinion a high mass bridge does more for the play feel of the bass than the actual tonal character.