BADASS I on a Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Putzaroni1, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Putzaroni1

Putzaroni1

Feb 26, 2010
    Hello,
    This is a great forum. Lots of great info.... Thanks.
    I've dug around and can't find anything regarding the original BadAss bridges. I purchased one and it looks like everything will line up but I've seen some posts that say it's not a direct replacement. If it will bolt up without drilling I will go ahead with it, if it won't I will sell it and get a BadAss II as I know it's a direct replacement. The bass is a 20ish year old MIM Fender Jazz bass and plays nice already but it sounds like the best upgrade you can do is the bridge replacement.

Any info on if it will bold on or not would be appreciated.

2. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    it is not.

The strings will sit too high. To use this bridge on a Fender, you rally have to route a counter-sink for it... OR live with REALLY HIGH STRINGS.

That's why BA came out with the BA2 -- a much lower-profile bridge.

3. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    The BA I was originally designed for Gibson EB basses. Much taller than needed for a fender bass. Get a BA II or III. With a BA III, the saddles are pre grooved. With the BAII you have to groove the saddles.

4. I have a Fender (82) 57-neck on a Walmoth body with a Badass 1 bridge that isn't countersunk. ... I didn't put together I bought it that way but it works great so I don't question things that work. .... But the three screws on the Badass 1, I believe, do not line up with the holes the five screws the Fender bridge needs.

5. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    If not countersunk, then I bet you will find a shim (s) at the bottom of the neck pocket.

6. ryanrex

ryanrex

May 26, 2008
    We have a jazz guy that comes into our shop ha has a 70's fretless jazz. well it was fretted he ripped the frets out. it has a badass 1 on it. he has lots of string height problems. the saddles are almost maxed all the way down. he struggles with it a lot.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021