Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Badass II: Anyone ever go back to the stock bridge?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ToneMonkey, Oct 8, 2003.

1. ToneMonkey

ToneMonkey

Sep 27, 2003
    Newberg, OR
    I have a 2001 MIM Std Jazz Bass with passive Barts wired with a blend pot. I swapped out the stock bridge for a Badass II. I play mostly blues and old school R&B these days but I've been know to get calls to play rock and country as well.

After swapping out the stock bridge, the tone seems somewhat more "solid" overall, but it also seems a bit more "polite" to my ears. This seems especially true of the E string. It just feels like I'm carrying around more baggage than I need to, if that makes any sense... like the added sustain gets in the way of being percussive in my phrasing and articulation.

I realize that these are highly subjective impressions, but I was wondering if anyone else hears the same thing after installing a Badass.

I'm thinking very seriously of going back to the stock bridge. Anyone else ever done likewise?

2. ERMAL

ERMAL

Jun 20, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Yes ToneMonkey - I went from a Badass II on my 62 RI Jazz back to the Fender stock bridge. I found the Badass to be more "solid" for finger playing but, at the same time, it did seem to "choke" the traditional Jazz bass tone ever so slightly. With the Fender bridge the tone seems more open and loose.
    I did leave the Badass on my 57 RI P-Bass just to switch things up a little but, I am thinking about removing it from that bass as well. Good Luck!

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I've switched back... I had upgraded my MIM P bass with a BA-II and a DiMarzio Will Power Middle pup. Made a good bass great (IMO). After I bought a MIA Hot Rodded P, I had thoughts of selling the Mexi P and reversed the mods, reinstalling the original pup and bridge.

After some serious soul searching, I realized that I really preferred the feel of the Mexi P to that of the MIA, so I sold the MIA. More out of laziness than anything else, I left the original bridge on and repeated the pickup swap...I found that I liked the tone and feel quite a bit...so there it stays.

4. ToneMonkey

ToneMonkey

Sep 27, 2003
    Newberg, OR
    I think the MIM Fender stuff (guitars and basses) sounds better than a lot of the MIA stuff. The MIA guitars, in particular, are generally heavier than their MIM counterparts.

When I decided to sell my StingRay and go back to playing a J, I played every J bass at Guitar Center - that was 3 or 4 MIAs and 8 MIMs. Two of the MIMs stood out as being noticably better than all the other basses (MIA and MIM). I took the best of those two home with me. Black isn't my favorite color, but I'll take a great instrument over cosmetics any day.

I don't mean to say that all the MIA stuff is bad. I think instruments tend to vary greatly even among indentical models. I have personally played better sounding stuff in the MIM line though, whereas the MIA stuff tends to look sexier.

My .02; YMMV.

5. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI!

I have a '67 jazz. I switched back, but only for collectable reasons. I think the Badass bridge is much better

Rob

6. 3rdEye

3rdEye

Nov 30, 2002
    CA.
    I like the BadAssII much better. I put the old bridge back on my J as an experiment. To me the BA was punchier and fuller sounding and the slap tone was more clear and articulate. The stock bridge made the bass sound thiner.