Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BadAss II Bridge Installation?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Sutton, May 6, 2005.

1. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Hey everyone, I plan on putting a BAII bridge on my jazz sometime in the near future. But I have a question about it. I noticed that the Saddles have no grooves within them, and that you have to file them yourself. I'm a bit concerned about this. I plan on getting a gold BadAss II, so it'll end up costing about 90 bucks, should I pay another 90 dollars to get it professionally installed? Or is it a fairly idiot proof task.

If you have an guides or anything on this, please let me know. And if you dont think I should go along with this, please recommend another bridge. Thanks alot.

2. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    it's a fairly simple task. you sould have no problem.

here's what i did:
    1. install ba2.

2. install strings, leave loose enough to slide across bridge saddle and find your preferred spacing.

3. mark saddle with pencil & remove strings.

4. file saddle to where string contacts saddle between the 3 & 4 o'clock and the 8 & 9 o'clock position. I've found that 4 & 8 o'clock are usually best and not as much filing.

5. round files the diameter of the string is the preferred way to file bridges, but a triangle shaped file is ok (i forget the correct term :rolleyes: )

good luck!

Edit: this should be moved to the setup section.

3. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI

Ok, sounds fairly simple....what do you mean by the 3&4/ 8&9 o'clock positions though?

4. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I've never filed string slots. I just set the stings and it works fine.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I prefer to take them to a tech, I got charged $5 on top of a regular setup.

You could do it yourself, it's not too bad, I just don't want to be responsible for replacing it if I screw up :)

6. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI

5 bucks? not bad, I read someone saying it costed them 45 bucks for installation

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Coulda been me. But the regular setup was $40.

8. alembicfive

alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    USA
    I just installed one on my Jazz recently. If I knew it was so easy I would have done it myself years ago!

I did it a bit different then Robman.

First I measured the string spacing on the orginal bridge and then marked the saddles on the Badass. To make sure the strings are positioned correctly I use the space between the two center saddles (would be the A and D strings) as a center line and measure out from there.

Next I started the grooves with my Dremel (I am doing all this before I install the bridge, don't want to take a chance to scratch the bass). Just enough to act as guide for the the files.

Then I started filing with a trangle file (got these files at Home Depot - $16 for the set) Then I rounded the grooves out with the round file, sizing them for the strings. Then I smoothed out the edges with the small flat file.

I made the grooves so the about 1/3 of the string sits in it.

Then I un-screwed the old bridge and put on the Badass with the supplied screws. When installing the new bridge, make sure that if there is ground wire under there, that it contacts the new bridge, or you'll get a electrical buzz.

And that's it....Import....TAKE YOUR TIME. I think total it took me around 1 hour to cut, install and setup.

9. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Ok, well I just won a bid on Ebay for a BadAss 2, so I'll get to workin on it when it arrives

10. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I installed mine myself, the filing part is really easy since you don't even have to push hard to file it. A circular files is best. It takes long to perfect each groove though.

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The guys in Setup can tell you all about installing and grooving a BadAss II. Moved.

12. Why do you have to file in the first place? Why don't they already come pre grooved? SteveC was saying he didn't even need to file :/

13. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments

That is the best. My BAII is not filed and I love it. My BAI is filed for the 8 strings and I am switching to a BAIII.

Have you looked at the BAIII?

14. gafbass02

gafbass02

Nov 9, 2005
    cheltenham uk
    Another unfiled ba2 user here, stuck it on ten years ago and never filed it, never had a single issue.

15. Let me ask a stupid question:

Why can one buy the BAIII with pre-grooved saddles, but not the BAII? :confused:

16. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Tradition!
    :D

17. jrfrond

jrfrond

Jul 11, 2006
    NYC
    Tech Director, dBm Pro Audio Services, New York
    There is a grooved version of the BadAss II available through Fender dealers. It is made specifically for Fender, and it is OEM on the Marcus Miller and Geddy Lee basses. In fact, I have one sitting right in front of me now. There are multiple grooves on each saddle to accomodate different spacings.

BTW- grooves MUST be cut in the non-grooved saddles. The bridge's entire function is based on the string having maximum contact with the saddle, not just a single takeoff point.

18. attackbass

attackbass

Jul 16, 2007
    Endorsing Artist:Orange Amps, EBS FX, Ernie Ball, Fender Bass Guitars
    I put one on last week with the help of my dad who did the filing as my hands aren't the steadiest!!

Was pretty simple. put the strings om the bridge, tuned it up played it for a while, adjusted the string spacing so that it was comfortable for my playing, made sure it looked ok and passed over the pickup poles. then marked with a file each side of the string on the saddle, loosend the string and used a few different files to make the groove.

sounds great and looks cool!

19. Good info. I might try to track down a grooved one in the future. Thanks. :)

20. What size Allen key do you need to adjust the action on these? I have a .050 and it is too big!