1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

badass II bridge on a new fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kicker, Feb 24, 2008.

1. kicker

kicker

Jan 30, 2006
    hi

does the badass II bridge fit with the new fender precision basses with stringtrough bridges? i don't use stringtrough option coz i use flatwound strings, but could there be any problems in installing a baddas II coz of that?

thanks

2. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    For American Fendres with the STB, you want the Bad Ass III bridge - the string through bridges have three screws, and the BAII uses five screws, so you'd have to drill holes in a nice bass in order to put that bridge on, which would be self defeating to say the least.

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Do you mean the New American Standard P-basses?
    The bridge on those is probably much closer to a BA II than any previous Fender Bridge (except the BAII on the HWY-1 rel. 2.0).

If you changed it the NASP bridge, I doubt there would be any noticeable difference except an immediate depreciation in the resale value of the instrument. Just my opinion, though. :p

Why do you want to change it? Because of the length issue?

Which brand/gauge strings are you using?

4. kicker

kicker

Jan 30, 2006
    thanks for your replies...
    yeah, i have american standard p-bass...
    i want to change it coz the original bridge is flimsy, the screws that are used for adjusting the height of the strings are BAD, they move (rotating by themselves) when i play and the string drops down and they get out of tune coz of that and are too low... that happens after 15 minutes of playing, i barely managed to get a proper intonation, and already a roundwound string snapped 2 weeks after i got the bass...
    i generaly dont trust that bridge and dislike it :)
    i just think that badass bridge is more heavy, and looks more sturdy to me...

oh yeah, i use d'addario chromes.. flats from .50-.105

5. BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    I think you mean you have an American Series - 2007 or earlier. The American Standards that Dr. Jim is referring to are the new 2008 models, and have a new high mass bridge. But if you want to go Bad Ass, you have to go Bad Ass III, not II, because of the number of screw holes. Unless you want to drill holes in your bass - most people don't like to do that with American-made instruments. Or unless your bass is from the '80s, in which case it may be the five-screw bridge rather than the three-screw bridge. How many screws does your bridge have?

If your saddles are dropping, you can easily fix the problem much by taking it to a guitar tech, or with nail polish or removable loctite on the screw threads to tighten them up a bit. This shouldn't be happening - the American Series bridge is a fine bridge, yours is faulty for some reason. If you change it out, keep the stock one in a drawer somewhere, you might want it someday if/when you sell it or hand it down to your descendants.

6. kicker

kicker

Jan 30, 2006
    it's an american precision from 2007...
    yeah, i have 3 screws holding the original bridge... i already ordered a badass III and will try it out.. hope it is heavier than the stock bridge...
    and i will surely keep the original bridge...
    thanks y'all

7. Andy_colassal

Andy_colassal

Nov 21, 2006
    Regina, SK
    Not meaning to hi-jack the thread here but is a BAI string through?

8. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx

no

9. But the BAIII is string through.

10. BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
  11. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    Does adding a badass make a difference with a string through?

I use flats on my MIA and string it through the body. I don't see any issues with it?

12. kicker

kicker

Jan 30, 2006
    don't think so.. but i dont like using the stringtrough, especially with flats coz they tend to snap really easy because of the angle they're bent....