Badass II Bridge or Something Else?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jwsamuel, Jun 21, 2005.

1. jwsamuel

Apr 26, 2004
    I have a Fender MIM Standard Precision bass. I got a Baddass II bridge and was going to install it but now I am wondering if I should go with something else instead. I am looking for a sound that is clearer, more distinct and that has more sustain than the original Fender bridge.

Is the Badass II worth installing? Or would I be better off putting the bridge up for sale on ebay (it's still unopened) and getting something else?

2. The BadAss II is nice, no doubt about it. However, IMHO, the Schaller 496 4 string roller bridge is better. Its much beefier and I think it offers quite a bit more in the way of adjustments. Also, considering its size, I believe the sustain would also be improved.
  3. In this case size isn't comparable to mass and the BA is a bit heavier than the Schaller. The BA is a nice bridge no doubt about it.

But how do you know that it's the bridge that will give you all of these things you are looking for in your instrument? If you can answer that question, you'll be miles ahead of the game. The sustain can be changed somewhat noticeably with a bridge swap but you'll hear more clarity and distinction in your tone with changes in strings, pickups, and technique than you will with a bridge swap.

Don't be a lemming and follow the herd - Ask them where they are going and why?
  4. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    The Gotoh replacement that is used on the Modulus Vintage J is a pretty nice bridge, you can consider that too. You've got to remember the Badass Bridges need to have their saddles filed first, while other bridges don't have that extra work involved.
  5. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

That's what the BadAssII does.
  6. jwsamuel

Apr 26, 2004
    That's why I asked! :)

7. bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I installed a badass and it was super easy...
    The hardest part was finding files that were small enough...

I took off the bridge and replaced it with the badass...
    10 seconds.. .done!
    Then with some easy measurements and calculations, I figured out the exact center of each saddle and began filing them to fit the strings...

30 minutes later DONE!

the heavy bridge realy makes a HUGE difference... SO low, it growls and can give me sustain for hours!!! (figuratively speaking)

It did need a truss rod and some intonation adjustments but now it plays awesome. I am getting a buzz on the 5th fret of the D string but when i dont play it like a maniac and cool down my playing so it is mild then it is absolutely gone...
    BADASS 2 hands down!
  8. jwsamuel

Apr 26, 2004
    Since I have the Badass II bridge on hand, I am going to go ahead and install it.

I've also ordered a Gotoh 201 bridge and am going to use that on a P-J bass I am putting together.