Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Badass II bridge w/ Ashtray cover?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by StingrayKid21, Aug 15, 2005.

1. StingrayKid21

StingrayKid21 Holding down the low-end since 1996.

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Hey gang!

I just recently purchased a used '57 Precision Reissue (which is absolutely awesome) and I was wondering if I decided to replace the bridge with a badass II bridge:

1) Does the bridge design allow it to exaclty fit the precision bass or will I need to drill into the bass?

2) Has anyone ever tried putting the chrome ashtray bridge cover over anything other than a stock fender bridge? I just don't know if it will still fit.

Any opinions or info is appreciated!

Thanks!
    Justin

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    1. No, doesn't fit with a Badass II.

2. AFAIK, a Gotoh 201 fits under the cover while adding mass.

3. StingrayKid21

StingrayKid21 Holding down the low-end since 1996.

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Thanks! Any ideas of where to buy Gotoh bridges? Also, will the 201 help with sustain and harmonics?

Thanks for the help!

--justin

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The 201 has more mass than the stock Fender bridge and should add sustain depending on the particular instrument. No way of finding out unless you try. Same deal as a Badass.

Gotoh bridges are available from Allparts and Warmoth.

5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Fwiw the Badass 2 will fit under a Jazz ashtray, but the bridge needs to be moved forward slightly on the body so the ashtray doesn't overhang the rear edge of the Bass.

I realize your question was in reference to a P Bass, but I just thought I'd throw this out if anyone else was wondering about a J.