badass II bridge ????????

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jackson0321, Aug 2, 2001.

1. jackson0321

Apr 4, 2001
    Houston, TX
    i have a pbass and want a new bridge, thinking about the badass, what do yall think, and also i really cant find these bridges anywhere, where can i get one and how much should i pay. thanks
  2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    In the US a Badass can be had for $40 at most music stores,or online check out Outside the US Id imagine you may pay more.Not sure where you live,you didnt fill in your profile.

Btw I have a Badass 2 on my MIM Deluxe Jazz and imo its a nice bridge.Ive also heard positive things about the Gotoh 201 bridge(less expensive than the Badass) but have never tried one,so I cant give any feedback on it.Good luck.
  3. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    Badass2 bridges are very nice. I have one on my Squier bass. It really adds a lot of punch, plus the saddles dont touch each other. I got mine from

the only bad thing about a badass bridge is it doesnt always fit perfectly into your bass. I had to have a luthier drill new holes in my bass to get it to fit. Also, the saddles are uncarved so you have to file holes for them before you can use the bridge. It is a nice bridge but it takes some setting up.
  4. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I bought the Gotoh 201 and I have to say that I like it a lot. The two reasons I chose it over the Badass II were 1) It was cheaper and 2) It is a direct replacement for the Fender bridge -- no muss, no fuss, yer trolls are dust. I got mine at :D
  5. jackson0321

Apr 4, 2001
    Houston, TX
    what is the difference bt the fender bass bridge and the gotoh 201 bridge, so what about the Schaller 4-string Bass Bridge would that be a good pick for a pbass.
  6. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    I say get the badass and have a luthier install it. Or you could install it yourself... wouldnt take more than an afternoon.

-Take out old bridge
    -Drill new holes (you may or may not have to, depending on where your bass was made)
    -Ground gridge (if your old one was grounded)
    -Screw in Badass bridge
    -File grooves into saddles (make sure the grooves you made dont have any sharp edges or you will break strings like crazy)
    -Put on strings
    -Set action
    -Set intonation

this stuff isnt as hard as it sounds. You probably wont need to drill new holes in your bass either... I think thats only a Squier thing.
  7. it really won't take an entire afternoon, do as above.

perhaps take the opertunity to replace the strings, depending upon age, i didn't, but they were only recently new when i did it,

just remember to file the grooves in the sadles deep enough, alot of people only make a small groove to locate the string, you could do this and once your happy make them a little deep

i'm not talking deeper than the string, perhaps 2-3 mm, depending upon the string, ie, the E will be wider and deeper than the G and so on

thes strings will line up, but remember, if your not too confident about doing it on your own, get some advice or help from a guitar repairer, any decent one will help or give advice freeley
  8. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    The Gotoh 201 is quite a bit "meatier" than the stock bridge on a MIM Fender. As I said above, I chose the 201 over the Badass II because it was cheaper and IMO, easier to install. Whether it's easy to do or not, the thought of filing my own string slots, or drilling new mounting holes didn't interest me very much. I have no opinion on the Schaller, but many people on these forums have agreed that any upgrade from the stock POS is a good upgrade.
  9. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Don't forget...there are TWO main types of Badass replacements:

The one on the LEFT is the original. The RIGHT one is the Badass II.
    It's a drop-in for most Fenders - no new holes required, just saddle filin'.

I just swapped-out the Badass II I had on my Yamaha (it was a
    little overkill :rolleyes: ) with a black chrome Gotoh 201. I dunno about
    the ones at Warmoth (they ARE cheaper), but I got mine at WD
    Music Products
    . Picked up some black string-ferrules too because
    the ones at WD do allow for string-through body, i.e., four holes
    in the baseplate.
  10. just a note to say that it is possible to string a Badass II through the body- as I did with my Warmoth P (four holes drilled through the baseplate)
    (scanned closeup pic- bass put in the scanner :eek: the chrome shows up really dull)
    I haven't seen this done anywhere else except on a Coté 5 string.
    no string breakages yet, so it seems to work.
  11. jackson0321

Apr 4, 2001
    Houston, TX
    why do people say that the badass II is a direct replacement for fender, because my mia pbass has three screws and the badass II has 5 holes.
  12. Jackson0321, 3 of those holes will match the ones in the Fender body!

As for the debate between BadAss, Gotoh, Schaller, and others - Here's the rundown on each that I've got experience with:

1. BADASS I or II - I had one of the originals - should be setup by a tech/luthier unless you're confident in your abilities - Very, Very good bridge for one without string spacing adjustment. Just be sure to measure twice and cut once!

2. GOTOH 201 - Direct replacement for the Fenders but it has more physical mass than the stock bridge. Great value and is a good choice to replace the stock one without losing the vintage vibe. It does everything the BADASS does.

3. GOTOH 206 - Little more hi-tech and a bit more expensive than the 201. Not a direct replacement - new holes will have to be drilled. Very nice bridge and the original choice for Hambone Custom Bass Ser.#0001

4. SCHALLER ROLLER - IMO the most versatile and the best value on the market. This has all of the 3 adjustments for a price less than a BADASS or a GOTOH 206. Comes in black, chrome, or gold. This is my preferred bridge for my builds and for 2 of my players.

Hope this helps
  13. jackson0321

Apr 4, 2001
    Houston, TX
    is the SCHALLER ROLLER a direct replacement for a mia pbass
  14. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    you forgot about the dreaded 2tek, Hambone! ;)
  15. no- the Schaller 3D roller bridge uses 3 large screws for fixing- larger than those used on Fenders, and the spacing's probably different too.

I fitted one to my Fender Precision Plus bass- I had to drill new holes in the body.

also, there's no provision for thru-body stringing as on a MIA P bass.