badass II on P-bass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Scott Lynch, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

I see badass bridges on a lot of fender jazzes but what about on a P-bass? Is it worth it?
  2. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    I've had one on my 74 P for 11 years and I like it fine, I didn't hear "that big" of a difference other then a little more punch but my old bridge was falling apart so...........
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I think replacing a working bridge on any bass is a waste of money. I find Badass bridges overrated myself. I think there's much better aftermarket bridges on the market that don't requiring filing a slot to work (Gotoh and Schaller come to mind). As long as a bridge doesn't break strings and holds the strings in place, it's a good bridge.
  4. Much like Aaron, I replaced my bridge because a saddle screw had fallen out. I didn't notice much of any difference. At least the theory of more surface area contacting the body makes sense...
  5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Filing the slot is a non-trivial task when it's done correctly. I use the BA II o all my Fenders and I'm a big fan. My luthier shapes the bridge pieces though...
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've used Badasses on my P-basses with good results. Not as noticable as on a Jazz bass, but I'm used to the feel.
  7. I can set my intonation properly with it, and it also solves the slight neck dive I had.
  8. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    IMO the stock Fender vintage style bridge is the best bridge for a Fender.
  9. Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    I've tried the Badass on my P and I DO notice the difference.
    Anyway, the Badass is great if you don't want make oter holes in the body, but the best bridge IMHO is the Schaller 3d.
    Simple, full adjustable, great.
    But you have to screw other two holes.
  10. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I really like Badass bridges. They're solid, well put together and once they're set up, they stay the way you put them. No saddle movement. Cutting the slots isn't difficult but I'd recommend getting a good tech to do it if you're unsure about what you're doing.
  11. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

The standard MIM bridges aren't that great, because they seem to strip out easily.

This bridge fits right on, and will not strip out. While it may not look like much off of the bass, once it's on, and the strings are up to tension, it works very well. Inexpensive too. :hyper:
  12. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

Just fro grins, I tried a Gotoh 201C on my Pbass deluxe, which came with the vintage style bridge. I ended up putting the stock bridge right back on. The Gotoh made no difference.

I changed them on my MIM jazzes because;
    1 stripped out
    1 corroded pretty bad.

I would say that if someone had to change a standard MIM bridge, the vintage style Fender is a good way to go :hyper:
  13. cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    To each his own, of course, but I much prefer the BAII to the original Fender bridge. I've had a borrowed MIM Jazz as a second for a couple of years now, and find the saddle pieces skid around marginally, so string alignment/spacing isn't absolutely consistent. Also, the height adjustment screws seem to work loose and must be reset every so often. I do play pretty hard, and the same problems used to be apparent with the original bridge on my main P-type bass. Not so with the BAII that's been on there for many years. It stays the way you set it forever. Soundwise, it definitely adds a modicum of sustain (which you may or may not want).

Btw, Leo Quan now makes a pre-notched version, and I hear a Japanese company called KTS has a titanium Badass in the works, which should be lighter than the zinc-alloy original.
  14. Mmmmm... Bacon...
  15. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

...and eggs sounds like the makings for a badass breakfast! :p
  16. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I have my bridge upgradded to a BadAss II Bridge. Big difference to me! Looks, feel, sustain, everything about the BAII is much better than the original cheapy bridge.