Badass II on Stingray....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pil, Mar 16, 2005.

1. pil

Feb 17, 2005
    Pimlico, UK
    Morning chaps, ive started priming my old olp stingray body for painting today - so in the next couple of weeks i'll be buying all the replacement parts i need, as i was never very impressed by the ones on the bass, one of the reasons for this project.

Anyway my problem is - due to what seems to be the wider string spaceing on a stingray is it at all possible to add a badass 2 bridge to the body, as was the impression it gave me on the geddy lee jazz...any help would be appreciated!

2. I think a badass 2 will work fine. You have to file the saddle slots anyways, you can set any string spacing you want.

I think it would work.
  3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    You'll probably have to drill holes because the Badass II was intended to be a drop-in replacement for the original Fender Bridges. I don't think that Music Man or OLP used the same screw pattern.

Since you have to drill holes, I would recommend any other high mass bridge as opposed to the Badass II which is not really a very good bridge. It requires you to file bridge slots which is a big PITA and allows for no adjustment in string spacing once the slots are there. Check out the Shalller roller bridge, it's a little bit less expensive, and worlds better quality than the Badass, and will give you that high-mass bridge you're after. The Shaller roller is a seriously heavy duty piece that has fantastic adjustability and will hold up for years. I've had them on three of my basses over the years. Here's what it looks like on my green Jazz Bass:

Or if you're on a budget, go to or Stew-Mac or Warmoth and look for other high mass bridges.

The Badass II does look really cool. If you're going for that big hunk 'o' chrome look, it's tough to beat. IMO changing a bridge is largely an aesthetic excersize. Here are some cool options from steawrt mcdonald's web site
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
  4. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    THose Schallers are great but don't rule out the Badass2. I used one on a rick (didn't have the saddles filed at all) and it worked wonderfully. That being said the Schallers are awesome as well...with side to side adjustability that's great. Both are good but I'd say the Badass2 has more mass.
  5. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    BTW I forgot to add...

After having basses witih both low mass and high mass bridges, for Fender basses I prefer the low-mass bent metal style bridge. Though the differences are INCREDIBLY small, I think it makes for a better sound and feel than high mass bridges.

Also, the Gotoh 201 is another bridge you should look for!
  6. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Are the Hipshot and Schaller bridges direct drop in replacements for a Fender?
  7. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I don't think so. That's why it would be so cool to use them for this OLP refinish project! Why use a Fender Drop-in Replacement when you can use anything out there! :)
  8. pil

Feb 17, 2005
    Pimlico, UK
    Cheers for the feedback guys...especially you with the pics! :bassist: Im just so confused now - although that could be something to do with using spray paint in a room with no windows :D - ive gotta say that schaller roller bridge looks pretty good, im gonna see if i can find any stockists in the UK...and in black...if not i might still go for the badass

by the way if anyone knows where i can find a black - dont know the name (where the knobs go thingy) - id really appreciate it, as ive had a few fruitless searches around.

thanks again! :bassist: