1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Badass II or Gotoh 201?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by artdrtr, Mar 6, 2008.

1. artdrtr

artdrtr

Jan 24, 2008
    Redondo Beach, CA
    I'm replacing the stock Fender bridge on a MIM Jazz -- which looks to be the equivalent of an aluminum can after meeting someone’s foot -- What should I go with: the $35.00 Gotoh 201? Or the 85.00 Badass II?

2. speedkills

speedkills

Jan 10, 2008
    California
    The Gotoh 201 drops in the stock screw holes, and requires no modification.
    A 10 minute job.

The BAII will require that you notch the saddles.

*****Edited because I was wrong, apparently.******

3. The Badass II is the same as Gotoh as far as screw holes go. Both line up on a standard Fender 5 hole bridge. My Badass lined up perfect on my SX. It does need the saddles to be grooved though.

You can get a new Badass II on ebay for $56 shipped. That's what I paid for mine. It was $47.99 + $8.00 s/h. I think the sellers name was The Music Zoo.

Steve

4. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    The BAII doesnt require drew. Its a drop in just like the Gotoh. But i fild the BA too bulky...

5. speedkills

speedkills

Jan 10, 2008
    California
    Maybe I had an older model (??) - I did have to redrill 2 mounting holes.

Oh well.

The Gotoh is cheaper and doesn't require notching.
    You can get the Gotoh from Warmoth for $30.
    HERE

6. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    I've had both. They're both nice, but for the price I'd get another Gotoh in a second for my next project.

7. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Just to confirm, for the OP: I have both a Badass II and a Gotoh 201 – neither of them require drilling any extra holes, they use the same screw holes as the stock Fender bridge.

8. I was gonna mention Warmoth also on the Gotoh. Last time I checked came out to $37 even shipped. And next time I need a bridge upgrade that's what I'm gonna go with.

Steve

9. artdrtr

artdrtr

Jan 24, 2008
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Thanks for all the info. I have a chrome BA II, but want to go with black hardware instead.

10. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    Gotoh 201

11. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    I'd go with the Gotoh. Keeps the nice look of the Fender bridge but accomplishes what the BA is for (high mass). IMO the Badass is an ugly bridge and looks out of place on a Fender. And for less than half the price :smug:

12. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Had the BA and the Gotoh...I prefer the Gotoh.

Kim

13. dubyaresee

dubyaresee

Dec 3, 2007
    I've got the Gotoh. It was a snap to install on my MIM Jazz. It doesn't look a whole lot different, as mentioned above. Adjusting it is a lot smoother than on the original.

14. Gotoh 201 from warmoth. Best deal around on a great bridge!

( Not the fastest shipper in the world)

15. Gotoh! I have one on my MIM Jazz love it!

16. jonnychicago

jonnychicago

Mar 20, 2006
    Chicago
    Gotoh, as well. Just ordered from them. Really quick turnaround, amazing product, when compared side by side to the MIM P bridge it replaced.

17. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Just wondering if you can adjust the Gotoh saddles any lower than the Badass? I have a Deluxe Jazz that came with a badass bridge and the saddles don't quite go as low as I'd like. Maybe I could just notch them a bit lower?

18. phatduckk

phatduckk

May 24, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I've never had the Gotoh so i cant chime in with a comparisson but you can buy a BA II with notched saddles and the BA III's all come with notched saddles (all the ones ive seen at least)

19. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    I have both and I like both!

20. RedemptionBass

RedemptionBass

Dec 12, 2007
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Head (and only) Honcho at Redemption Bass
    I had the same problem and I just filed the slots deeper. Didn't cause any issues to my (admittedly untrained) ear.

I do prefer the Gotoh though.

My next project is going to use a vintage Dimarzio gigantic-hunk-o-brass bridge just because I scored one cheap. I swear the thing weighs 37 pounds on it's own.