Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Badass II or Schaller

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike88T, Apr 26, 2002.

1. Ok I have been looking for a bridge for my MIM Jazz and was wondeering what would be the better of the two.
    I will probably be buying it used and am in no particular hurry to do so so price doesn't matter at the moment, although I have noticed the Schallers go cheaper but are harder to find.

2. glwanabe

glwanabe Guest

Apr 21, 2002
    you can get a brand new Gotoh 201 that fits perfectly for 20 bucks from warmoth. I just got one and it is a very good piece of hardware. Has substantial mass, biggest difference is a thinner baseplate than the BAII.
    Between the two that you mention I like the BAII better than the other one.
    I don't feel that I have settled for something less with the Gotoh. Except that I still have some money in my pocket.

3. Offbase

Offbase

Mar 9, 2000
    The Schaller is the better bridge IMHO, but it is a non-standard 3 hole screw arrangement, which means, get your drill out. The BAII and Gotoh 201 are direct replacements. Some people have reported problems getting a low enough action with the BAII because of its plate thickness, but I've never had that problem with it myself. The Gotoh does about the same a BAII does for the sound, and looks much more like a stock bridge.

4. And I love it! It's really true what they say about them ... better sustain, great attack. I can't wait to get it into rehearsal next week.

It was easy to install, and setup was a breeze. Took me maybe 10 minutes from first screw out of the old bridge to final intonation adjustment.

I got it new for about $40 from www.guitarlab.com. They were a pleasure to deal with and shipped right away.

A word of warning -- unlike other bridges, the Badass requires you to cut your own string slots in the bridges -- a fairly easy job with a file or Dremel.

Next up: some Fender Custom pickups ...

5. Thanks for the input guys.
    I like the Schaller quality best but the drilling is unappealing. I did not know that the Badass had to be filed for the strings when New, this is good to know as now I don’t think I would want a used one.

Flavorfactory your link doesn’t work by the way, wish it did that’s a good price.

The Gotah seems to be the way to go if I want it soon, but I was hoping to increase the sustain on my bass as it is lacking, so the Badass’ mass is a consideration. But that brings up the point of filing the bridge and I’m not sure how to go about that or what type of file to use, round, V or what?

6. ab

ab

May 25, 2000
    I wouldnt worry about filing the saddles. I and lots of other people have fitted BA2 bridges without filing, and not had any problems.

7. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Get the badass.
    I had a Schaller 4 string bridge on one of my basses and the rolling saddles really pissed me off when i had to change strings cause the would move and i had to reset them all the time.
    Its a good idea if you are going to put the bridge on another bass later on but its really annoying if you leave it on one bass. Besides that i just think that the badass is better.

8. What keeps the strings in place?

9. ab

ab

May 25, 2000
    The tension of the strings keeps them in place. This would depend on how hard you play I suppose. Worth a try though!

10. I'd have to agree,

Many people do not file the grooves on the sadles by means of locating there resting points on the bridge saddles when fully taught and tuned.

This is a good idea if your a little uneasy about using a small file on your shiney new bridge.

After a week or two, you will be able to see where the strings have been and use this as your point of attack.

If your worried about theis process then i would recommend you find a friend who feels handy with a small triangular file, either that or take it to a repair shop, they won't or should not charge you for such a simple job.

Regarding the choice of bridge, as it's for a fender i would recommend the BAII. Its a wonderful piece of kit that does all and more of what people say about it. You'll notice a considerable improvement in sustain and responce and you won't have to drill into your body, something that i find a bit troublesome. Many people drill holes that are too deep, too shallow, too big and too small. Theres nothing like a screw that won't bite!

Therefore the BAII is a great option as it fits well. Use the screws that come with the BAII as the have a slightly different gauge and depth to accomodate for the base plates thinckness.

If you go ahead with it, let us know how it goes, we're all interested.

By the way i did this a couple of years ago to my now departed US j bass and it was the man! Pickups are also a worthwhile investment for the MIM j's and a good fret and neck setup.

Stu

11. Here's another link ... don't know why the first one didn't work.

http://www.guitarlab.net/23/cat23.htm?433

Regarding filing ... I debated whether or not to do it. After some reading, I came to the conclusion that filing the saddles was the best option for stable tuning. I imagine for soft-touch players it probably isn't much of an issue.

12. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I'd go with a hipshot.

Badass II's overrated, IMO/IME.

I like the Hipshot style A's. :)

13. Next week i will put a schaller 201 on my Squier..

had a baII on the mim jazz..

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Hipshots are nice. ABM's are nicer. Both cost quite a bit more than a Badass II.

15. I saw the Hipshots and found this place for the ABMs Bridges

Is the cost really worth it? I mean they are twice as expensive, what do you get for that?

Thanks for all the replies.

16. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I'd agree with the Gotoh 201 from Warmoth over both. The Badass is a cool looking bridge but having to slot it is a PITA IMO, and it's not as solid as more modern designs. The Schaller is great (much better than the Badass), but requires drilling so forget it. The Gotoh is simple and a high mass drop-in replacement.

17. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    You can get chrome ABMs for around $100 at www.dqguitarparts.com

I don't think putting a $100 bridge on a $300 bass is worth it, imo.

18. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    word of advice ,when installing a baddass bridge is to take measurements of where your OEM bridge is,centerline,and where about your strings are located ,if you are uncomfortable in anyways preforming the upgrade i would take it to local shop to have done,and yes you will have to do some minor filing to saddles(not much!) just enough for the string to set in and not"buzz", good-luck...