Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BadAss II VS Fender Stock bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by lo-end, Sep 7, 2001.

1. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I am saving for an American Series Precision Bass, and I am trying to decide whether or not to replace the stock bridge with a Badass 2 bridge. I have one on my Squier P Bass right now and I love it. I was just wondering whether I should put it on an American Series P bass that already has a pretty nice looking string thru body bridge when the Badass2 is just top loading. But then I noticed that theres a lot of pros that use American Fenders that put Badass2 bridges on threre, such as Mike Dirnt and Geddy Lee with his Jazz Bass.

So basically, should I buy the Badass2, or just stick with the stock bridge? I think this stock bridge is really nice on the new american series. It looks really sturdy, but what do I know anyway? :D

The Badass2 bridge is a top loading bridge and the Fender is string through body and no extra cost, but I really like the tone of the Badass bridge.

Are there other replacement bridges that have independent saddles like the Badass, but can work with string thru body type basses? If so, please tell me about those also. I think Gotoh might make one but Im not sure. Also, money is no object. I make $5000 a year and have nothing to spend it on but bass gear :) :)

sorry about being so long-winded here. Im sure I lost half of you. Anyway, please help!!

2. it is possible to string a BadassII bridge through the body if you drill four holes through the baseplate- I did this on my Warmoth parts P bass.

3. masaru

masaru

Aug 8, 2001
    Okinawa, Japan
    Get the Badass2. You won't regret it

4. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I dunno about the Gotoh 201's from Warmoth, but the ones
    from WD Music Products DO have the holes in the baseplate
    for string-through. Maybe that's why they're ~$60 vs. $20-
    somethin' at Warmoth.

The 201's pretty hefty and is a drop-in for most 5-hole, Fender-
    type mounts. No saddle filin' required.

I had a Badass II on my cheapie Yammer`260 and it was a
    bit much -- hangin' over the @$$-end of the bass. The tone
    was there and all, just looked kinda' goofy. Probably not a
    concern for a regular P or J. I got a black chrome 201 from WD...
    better fit, PLUS tone galore. Beauty sustain, and some gnarly
    high-end growl and "clank".

Ya' can't see it in the pics below, but those baseplate holes
    ARE there in the WD 201's...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I am confused... there are different kinds of Gotoh bridges?? I thought Gotoh was a company and they made their bridges!

Anyway, whats the difference between Warmoth ones and WD ones and are there different kinds of Gotoh bridges, or what?

you confused me!! :confused:

6. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Sorry dude :(. What I meant was, I dunno if they come
    from Gotoh with the baseplates drilled for string-through,
    or it's somethin' WD does and Warmoth doesn't do. Anybody
    get one from Warmoth?

7. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    what about the Gotoh 206? Is that any different from the 201? I think I heard that its more expensive. Are there any other Gotoh bridges, and how do they compare to the BadAss2? I am very happy with the one I have on my Squier and Im gonna get one for my MIA as soon as I can, unless you guys have any other suggestions or things to say about Gotoh bridges.

8. The Gotoh 206 is almost the same as a Gotoh 201 except it's for string-through-body and it costs more

9. the Schaller Stahl-steg is the best replacement bridge there is..

It's 3-dimensionally adjustable.. so not just intonation and string height, but also string spacing per string :D

and it's only 85 €

[​IMG]

10. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    85 euros = $85?

by the way, this is a pretty old thread. I'm not even in the market for a replacement bridge anymore since I want a Stingray now.

11. 85 € = $ 74 ( give or take a few cents.. )

12. I got the Gotoh 201s on my basses...they do NOT have the thru-body holes. I got them from Warmoth.