1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BadAss II vs other bridges

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by OliverH, Sep 8, 2008.

1. OliverH

OliverH

Aug 2, 2008
    I've noticed when asked, most members here mention they are using BadAss II bridges, I assume on Fender 4 string basses.

I'm rebuilding a Squier Precision and while the BadAss II does seem to get good feedback all round I'm more interested in the Schaller bridge that stewmac.com has. It seems more adjustable, more sturdy and I just plain like the look of it more.

Why aren't these or the Hipshot bridges as popular? Is the BadAss technically superior or just better known in the market? I guess drop-in replacement is a bonus but I'm making fairly severe changes to this bass anyway so drilling a few holes isn't a big deal to me.

2. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    A few top bassists use the Badass, which is half the charm.

They are good though, but Hipshot, Schaller, Kahler etc. are just as good.

(IMO)

3. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    Badass2s are really expensive and a cheaper 30 dollar high mass bridge does the same thing. They say the ba2 increases attack and sustain But I dont notice it on my jazz bass. When I bought my ba2 It was the only bridge with grooves in it to keep the saddles from moving side to side. Now theres alot of bridges out there for less money so I would go with one of those.

4. hey

hey

Jul 8, 2006
    Wisconsin
    Hipshots are twice the price, which is why they aren't used nearly as much.

5. OliverH

OliverH

Aug 2, 2008
    A quick check shows the Schaller at around $65, Hipshot around $95 and Badass II around $80.

6. I only have experience with the BA2... which I have on my Squire VM Jazz. I really like it. I found that the sustain on the bass is much fuller. I also feel that the bass has a bit more "bite" to it now as well... although BA2's don't really have a reputation for adding more "bite" I think it did for my bass.

IMHO the other bridges are PROBABLY ok... although I would buy another BA2 and marry it with a Fender style bass because it has a proven track record.

Lastly, I never cut grooves in the BA saddles. I like the tone so much that I just don't see a reason to cut them. The strings have never moved (string tension keeps them in place). However, you may feel differently. I am not saying the tone is better uncut... but it sounds good to me on my instrument.

7. stevetx19

stevetx19

Sep 28, 2006
    Denton, Texas
    i love the schaller bridges. they adjust easily, come with a solid base plate for height, and are quite elegant in my opinion.

8. Hipshot bridges probably aren't as well-known as the Badass bridges. But they are superior in design.

There is a version that is a drop-in replacement on 5-screw Fender-types...

http://basspartsresource.com/bridge_hipshota4.htm (5A400C-FENDER)

9. TMacATK

TMacATK

Jul 9, 2008
    Davis, CA
    I recommend the Gotoh 201.

They're high-mass and drop-in replacement for Fenders. Intonation is fully adjustable, the saddles don't move, and they're only $30 from Warmoth. Two 201's are definitely worth one Badass to me.

[​IMG]

10. OliverH

OliverH

Aug 2, 2008
    I wonder if the "drop-in" replacements are inherently worse than other bridges because they only anchor to the body using 5 small screws near the end of the bridge. All other non-drop-in bridges seem to have much bigger screws, positioned closer to the middle of the bridge.

11. Flounder102Bass

Flounder102Bass

Jul 6, 2008
    i have a vintage bridges on my p Bass

12. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I can't speak about Schallers or Hipshots from experience, but in general there are a number of decent aftermarket bridges out there*. Your choice just depends on your needs and your budget. Sounds like you know what you want/need...

I've used and recommended Quan BadAss bridges. I think they're as popular as they are because 1) they're engineered to function as a direct replacement for Fender-style instruments, 2) they consistently perform as promised, and 3) they're well-marketed.

(* This most definitely does not include Wilkinson bridges - a couple of which I've owned previously, as they used to come as standard hardware on Carvin basses. A worse POS one could scarcely find if one tried... :eyebrow:)

MM

13. I doubt that has any appreciable, if even existent, effect. (After a certain point.)

14. I don't really feel that my badass III increased my sustain as much as it was advertised. But it raised the volume of my E string when it was lacking. This probablly has nothing to do with the bridge but possibley just how I setup the new bridge. Either way I'm happy.