1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Badass II with P Ashtray?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Sundown1206, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Sundown1206

Sundown1206

Jan 26, 2010
    Chicago
    Hey guys,

I have a Fender Jaguar bass that I'd like to put a Badass II bridge on BUT I put a P bass ashtray bridge cover on it a while back. Problem is, I know it doesn't fit. And I don't want two screw holes sitting there if I put the BAII on... any suggestions or am I stuck dealing with either the crappy stock bridge or the two holes?

2. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    wood filler and some nail polish? or getting a custom ashtray?

3. Sundown1206

Sundown1206

Jan 26, 2010
    Chicago
    Nail polish?

4. Pretend its an early '70s Bass when they came with the ashtrays fitted as standard, although you'd need drill the two holes in the pickguard to match :)

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    also, the vintage-style threaded saddle bridge is not crappy. i'd take it over a badass II anytime.

6. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    +1

7. Sundown1206

Sundown1206

Jan 26, 2010
    Chicago
    How is it better than the ba2?

8. PatrickEdmonds

PatrickEdmonds

Jan 3, 2006
    Cut the back off of the cover? It might stick out a bit though.

9. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Solution: don't waste your money on aftermarket bridges. They're no better than the original, unless the original is broken, in which case you should buy something that fits properly.

10. Sundown1206

Sundown1206

Jan 26, 2010
    Chicago
    So you're saying stock bridges are the bestbridges and aftermarket bridges aren't good?

11. jazzmonkey

jazzmonkey

Mar 7, 2010
    N.VA
    +1

12. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I'm not a fan of the BAII for a number of reasons (large, bulky, heavy, and you need to file it yourself to get string spacing?) but I'm a fan of the Fender bridge so long as its a good one. (The ones on the MIMs and the AV series Fenders are really different)

I've only changed out bridges when I've had a problem with them. Best by far is hipshot IMO and IME.

13. Sundown1206

Sundown1206

Jan 26, 2010
    Chicago
    The heavier bridge will help with neckdive and I'm fine with some filing. That and it not going side to side is another plus. I'm looking for helpful solutions and ideas. I've made up my mind about the badass so let's have no discussion about that here.

14. Klopp18

Klopp18

Dec 25, 2009
    New Hope, MN
    would a high mass vintage fit under them? they're really good bridges i think. and they're not that much bigger i dont think

15. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    There are other options that would fit in an astray no? gotoh, hipshot?

or you can have your bass refinished and shell out 400 bux so that the holes don't show...

16. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    I cant believe the unhelpful replies you are getting considering you have made your mind up on the BA. Whether the stock bridge, or whatever other bridge is better or worse, is down to the owner of the bass/bridge (you!) to decide, and nobody else. Theres not a lot in it, no better or worse (within reason), just opinions. I dont like the Fender style bridges (personally) for several reasons, but would rather not go into it to avoid debate.

I filled two holes in my beater bass recently with some stuff, but cant for the life of me remember the name of it! I will post it when I remember it. This stuff would of course require some colouring though, which wont be perfect, but will blend a lot better than you may think. And to me preferable to paying for a refinish, which just seems unecessary.

17. You could always just leave the screws in and have no cover.

18. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Go Hipshot.

Period.

19. Sundown1206

Sundown1206

Jan 26, 2010
    Chicago
    How does this solve the problem?

20. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    Remembered the name of the filling stuff I used- MILLIPUT, not sure how good an idea it is as there may be something I haven't thought of, but it worked for me. It would need colouring as said before though.