Badass on a Mexi Fender

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by relman, Jun 25, 2001.

1. Anyone try this yet? Results? Tone? Comments?
  2. It rocks. You have to file the grooves in the saddles. No biggie.

3. you always get to em first :)

yeah, it's not a big thing, and because its a direct replacement you don't have to worry about alignment

you may find that the orig holes are slightly out, but star the screws off and they'll find there way in

may sure you file the grooves deep enough though, some people don't bother, others leave it until the string has had time to mark the saddle, it's not hard

you could string it up first to find out where abouts each string breaks over the saddle, but roughly centre will be fine

it's a good mod, just wish i still had mine
  4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I have Badass 2 on my MIM deluxe J,and its a huge improvement over the stock bridge.I however,didnt file any grooves in the saddles,and so far,so good.Ive had this setup for six months,and havent seen any problems as of yet.
  5. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I installed a Gotoh 201 on my Mexican Fender. I haven't noticed a huge difference from the stocker though. I went with Gotoh over the Badass cuz it was CHEAP and EASY.
  6. I just finished installing mine yesterday. Although I don't have a J bass(yet) it was easy. Kinda scary when I had to drill new holes. But installation was a breaze. To file the grooves just get a Rat Tail file from your local hobby store and some 600 sand paper. After filing the grooves go through them again a few times with the sandpaper. Works great. Lotsa fun too. On my bass the only difference I really noticed was the notes sounded clearer and a little brighter. In fact, my two month old strings sounded 2 weeks old. Fun stuff. Go for it. They aren't expensive anyway.
  7. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That's what I did on mine. I had the bridge professionally installed by a local repair shop that left me a little less than satisfied with the slotting job on the bridge saddles.:mad:

Anyway, what I've noticed is that the sustain and brightness are dramatically improved. What's not as evident is the warmth that the smaller, stock bridge provided.

To me, it's not a huge deal, especially since it cuts through the walls of guitars better, IMO, and the lost warmth is something you'd probably only notice when playing solo.

All-in-all, I give it my thumbs up. Just make sure that if you do have the saddles slotted that they're done evenly and that the string spacing is even.
  8. Aren't the strings suppose to be put through the body?? Like through the back of the body??? Or like the one on the pic is just fine?? Help!!