1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Badass on an agathis body?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by spidersbass, Mar 13, 2008.

1. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    i got an old !banez SR300DX. i put in some active EMG's about a year ago, i'm thinking about putting on a Badass bridge on it. anyone think its worth it? it has an agathis body, i don't know much about this stuff, i just want to upgrade my good 'ol bass a little to make it more, badass. anyone with experience know if it'll make much of a difference to spend 70 bucks on?

2. Some swear by 'em. I put one on a MIJ jazz I had a few yrs ago & I really couldn't tell IF it made a difference. In hindsight I s'pose I shoulda recorded it B4 & after.

3. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    what is agathis anyway? is that a good wood or what?

4. Agathis aka Kauri Pine is an evergreen that grows in the pacific...most likely your agathis is from Indonesia...often found on low-end production basses...

agathis is NOT like a needle-leaf pine you find in America or Europe...it has quite broad, waxy leaves and big, substantial trunks...

it has qualities similar to mahogany...some say it sounds bad...others say it sounds ok...

to me...it's fine...

5. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    IMO, Agathis sounds fine on a bass, very good even.

6. Would'e?

Would'e?

Mar 27, 2007
    Virginia
    Yep. Agathis is a fine wood. Good and hard, more so than alder and much more so than basswood. It's nice and light. It's density, grain and tone (not that body wood is really the major factor in tone IMHO) are all similar to mahogany. The only reason you find it on less expensive basses is because that's the most plentiful good wood that is native to the places where they manufacture the budget basses like yours. Same reason Leo chose alder back in the day.

Can't comment on the bridge though.

7. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    i'm guessing i'ma have to drill in some new holes in my bass to install the badass