Badass Restoration

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mnelson, Aug 20, 2001.

1. mnelson

Aug 5, 2001

I have a black Badass II bridge that I want to restore. As most of the black finish is worn off over the years, I'd like to strip it down to its natural silver "base". Any suggestions? If I want to keep it silver/chrome, will I have to re-plate it, or is the "silvery" look I see under the fading black its natural color/finish? The silver areas do seem to be a bit pitted with greenish goo. I don't think the integrity of the metal is harmed, it just needs some TLC.(?)

Thanks for any help!
  2. what you may find is that some of the sections that you see may be shiny, but once the black finish is removed you can buff it up, but this will tarnisg quickly, you can get it chromed for very little, and if it's done well, then it will look sweet

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    PLease be sure to post the results when you figure out what you are going to do. I also have a black badass in bad shape that I would like to do something with. Curious as to what you find.
  4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Wouldnt it be easier to buy a new one?
    That is,if theyre available in black as well as chrome.
  5. mnelson

Aug 5, 2001
    Mike N,

Yes, I think they're cheap enough to just go out and buy. But I'm a beginning repair-guy-hopeful-maybe-someday-luthier and need all the hands-on time I can get.
  6. Hey, does anybody know if there is a Badass bridge-tailpiece for Rickenbacker basses (I mean that one Geddy Lee used)... Thanx :)