Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Badass setup

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by life.x, Mar 11, 2005.

1. life.x

life.x

Dec 21, 2003
    hamburg ny
    awright i've finally figured out that badass I bridges do not work with Fender basses, becasue the intonation will not work. I almost pulled the saddle to the end of the bridge be fore i was like "forget it." So does any body know why this bridge doesn't work on Fenders and why it can't be intonated?

2. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Mine seems to work fine with my Fender. So does every other BadAss/Fender combo I've ever seen....perhaps you are doing something wrong?

3. The Badass upgrade is the most common upgrade for a Fender. That bridge works much better than a lot of bridges. Should work just fine.

4. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    Mine works fine. Do you have it right around 34" scale to start?

5. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    If you want, send me a close up pic of the bridge as it is right now, maybe we can figure it out together.

6. life.x

life.x

Dec 21, 2003
    hamburg ny
    well it's still in stock setup, i put i back to the way it was. But this is a bad ass ONE bridge not the one you find on a (i.e.)Geddy Lee Jazz bass. This bridge is meant for Gibson basses, unless you have this one on your Fender, you may be thinking of the wrong bridge. I'll try to post a picture as soon as possible.

7. pdusen

pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    The Gibson basses are still 34" scale, I think. So the intonation should be just fine.

8. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    The Badass I bridge is meant to be routed into the body. I made the mistake of installing one on one of my Fenders without routing, back when they first came out. The action was extremely high, so if you have done a similar thing, it would not surprise me that you cannot intonate the bass correctly.

I left the b.a. I on the bass until the b.a. II came out. Much better.

9. Likewise, I too installed a BAI on my Precision when they first came out. No routing into the body and no other alterations except a very thin wood veneer shim in the neck pocket. Action was as low as one could effectively use on a 1975 Precision. Actually I didn't do it personally but had a pro do it for me. At the time, it wasn't common knowledge where I was that this bridge was designed to replace the Gibson flyers so on it went. The slots in the saddles remained the standard depth and all worked well for the life of the bass.

I think this difference comes on a bass by bass basis (how's that? :D ) My body may have had a slightly deeper neck pocket, or there may have been another difference to explain this.