1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BadAss V bridge install on my SX gone wrong

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by micahturner, May 10, 2010.

1. So, I'm looking to upgrade the bridge on my SX fretless 5 string with a BadAss V. The only problem is the bridge is a lot larger than the stock SX bridge so the string spacing is off and the strings no longer centered between the pickup poles. I haven't installed or drilled anything and was luckily in the "measuring and lining up phase," but I really want to use the bridge. Do I need to get new pickups to compensate or is all lost? Thanks.

2. Rocinante_x1

Rocinante_x1 Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    pics.

3. agreed

4. r_cc_c

r_cc_c

Jan 16, 2007
    So, string spacing is wider than the original bridge?
    In this case the gap between the edge of the neck and the B string and D string will be smaller as you go down to the 22 fret.

Is this acceptable to you?

5. jloftin1

jloftin1

Aug 7, 2009
    Carrollton, Ga
    I just put a BA5 on my SX and it worked out fine. I had to make the B and G grooves right beside the height adjustment screw but it looks perfect on the neck and sounds even across the strings. Lets face it (at least on mine), the pole pieces never really lined up anyway.

6. I would post pics but it isn't actually installed with strings on to see what I am talking about. I would hate to try to install this thing and ruin a bass. As for the spacing I wouldn't mind the difference.

7. jloftin1

jloftin1

Aug 7, 2009
    Carrollton, Ga
    when I did mine, three of the holes lined up and i had to drill 3 of them. I just screwd the ones that lined up in and then installed the rest of the screws. It may not be the right way but it worked out. As much as i love my sx, i like to just go for things(thankfull they ve all worked out)

8. I would do this, then install the strings under low tension (so you can move them side-to-side on the saddles), line the strings up to your liking, then mark the saddles and file new grooves.

Oh, and get EMGs, so you won't have to worry about the pickup's pole positioning :)

9. jloftin1

jloftin1

Aug 7, 2009
    Carrollton, Ga
    Pretty much exactly how I did it. Good luck. I noticed better "b" response with a stationary saddle;). The stock one had made grooves from sliding side to side.:scowl:

10. I'm going to give it a shot and report back with pics when I get it done. Thanks guys.

Micah

11. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    This iw why it's sometimes good to have unslotted saddles. You can now slot them where you need them.