Baddass II on a Jazz Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Andy Flees, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Hey everybody,

I was thinking about replacing the standard bridge on my Fender Deluxe American Jazz Bass (2004) with a Leo Quan Badass II bridge for bigger tone. Has anyone out there done this before, and is it worth the effort?

2. Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    I belive that the Marcus Millers and Geddy Lee's have that config so there are a ton of basses out there that'll serve as examples. Is it worth it? Dunno, it's kind of a personal thing. I wouldn't do it because I prefer more of a vintange vibe, heavier bridges will take away from the warmer vintage tone and give the bass more stustain and brightness. If that's what you're after, go for it!
  3. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Badass makes a "Badass III" bridge that allows string through the bridge as the MIA DLX bass has that option. Imho you will not get bigger tone but a sharper tone (attack), The bass is already a DLX why would you need it to be sharper?
  4. BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    I did this about 15 years ago with a Jazz Bass that had Seymour Duncan pups. It definately made a difference in attack and tone. I'm not sure if the same would have been true if I had kept the original pups, but I don't see why not.

I think you should check out this BA III bridge before you do anything, and while you are shopping, you might look at the options that Hipshot offers. (not sure about what they have for J-Bass, but I put a Hipshot replacement on my 4001 and I like it a lot).
  5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Lots of people have done it. IMO it is not worth the effort. You will need a Badass III for a string-through USA Bass. You will lessen the value of your instrument and lessen the "Fender" mojo thereof.
  6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

^^I agree^^ And take the advice from pyrohr, he is the resident Fender expert here!
  7. nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    May I ask what sort of wood your dlx jazz is made of?
    Ash+maple or alder+rw? I am curious which case it is, that you need a bigger tone.
  8. Basically, the stock Fender bridges these days suck, even on American and American Dlx models. You pay $1,300 for the bass, and the bridge is probably no more than $50 by itself. I just wanted something with better sustain and intonation.

BTW...the body is ash, and the fingerboard is maple.
  9. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think itd be worth it, just for the ease of adjustibility too. The saddle screws on fenders arent amazing.
  10. Eric Grossman

Eric Grossman

Nov 3, 2004
    St. Louis
    Endorsing Artist: Hipshot Products and SIT Strings
    I think that it's fine to do that. I replaced some of my Fender bridges, with Hipshot bridges, though. I think they're better made. The saddles are better. The entire bridge is sturdier, and the quick release feature is great. Keep in mind that I'm a Hipshot endorser, but that's only because I love the products. Check out the web site for all the different designes. There's a ton of info there.

Check out the companies that use Hipshot hardware on their instruments. Sadowsky is one of them. Sadowsky basses come standard with Hipshot bridges and tuners.
  11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    What exactly is wrong with the current USA Fender bridges? How are you going to get better intonation and sustain out of a replacement?
  12. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I own a few MIA DLX jazzes and NO BRIDGE has been a problem! I don't have issues with intonatation or anything else for that matter, just because there are aftermarket parts to be used on basses doesn't mean the stock parts suck! Most aftermarket bridges don't make your bass sound better just different! And by the way, Fender bridges have basically remained the same.
  13. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    By the way, the very last bass I bought is a Geddy Lee and I took the badassII bridge off! I wanted a alder bodied, maple necked jazz with decent pups. The block inlayed/bound neck and price made the deal even more attractive.
  14. :confused: I've never seen these, although I heard they were in the making...
  15. OK, this is what I know about the Leo Quan Bad Ass bridges. The edged saddles are supposed to limit movement of the strings which means they wont go out of tune as easily. They aree heavier meaning more mass. More mass = more sustain. They are supposed to improve intonation and intonation adjustment, I suppose another side effect of the edged saddles.
  16. lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    I did the same thing to my MIM active jazz deluxe because when i would play the saddle on my e string would end up jumping off the bridge which made for some really bad intonation and i wanted a litlle better attack.
    I put a Badass II on it didnt really get anymore sustain or a bigger sound but i defintly got a sharper attack i actually think it might be to sharp for me now so i dunno what im gonna do.

But for you case having a MIA jazz i really dont see the point in swaping out the bridge because its already a string through body you cant get much better than that.

by the way here is your badass III (its at the bottom)
  17. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
  18. I don't think it does all that much, but I do like the fact that the badass2 on my Geddy is solid as hell.

I couldn't care if it didn't do anything to the tone, I'm just glad its a sturdy piece of metal instead of Fender's stock bass bridges.
  19. Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I just added a Badass II to my new MIM jazz. The stock bridge was rattling and buzzing and was of very cheap quality. I cant say the bass sounds a whole lot different except to say that all the unwanted buzzes and noises are gone, The BAII is a joy to set up and intonate, and on a MIM bass, I think it is definately an improvement. I would however, hestitate to mess with a stock MIA Jazz. The MIA bridge is much more soliod looking than the MIM version. Just my 2 cents.
  20. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    I did one of these last weekend for a friend's bass. his former bridge was a bent plate with saddle poles, and it really lacked in the midrange (not to mention that the strings were not lined up quite right)

end result: loads of midrange definition that wasn't there before, but not OTT midrange either - just a refined definition of what was already there. definitely much better string spacing relative to the neck due to my slotting the saddles.

his comments are all 100% positive on the upgrade, and notes that this will be evidenced in his daily studio projects

All the best,